NV200 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where I can find information on how to remove the engine and reinstall it. Any help is appreciated, I'm totally new to this vehicle or vehicle type. Have doen many other projects but not like this one.
Thanks, Budd

·
Registered
21 Posts
Does anyone know where I can find information on how to remove the engine and reinstall it. Any help is appreciated, I'm totally new to this vehicle or vehicle type. Have doen many other projects but not like this one.
Thanks, Budd
I have access to 2019 NV200 electronic manual. I can see if I can print the info to PDF. Let me know if that would help.

30. Support engine and transaxle assembly with engine lifting equipment from the top with the vehicle raised on a hoist.
31. Use a manual lift table caddy (A) or equivalently rigid tool such as a transmission jack. Securely support bottom of the engine and the transaxle assembly.

White Gesture Line Slope Font

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have access to 2019 NV200 electronic manual. I can see if I can print the info to PDF. Let me know if that would help.

30. Support engine and transaxle assembly with engine lifting equipment from the top with the vehicle raised on a hoist.
31. Use a manual lift table caddy (A) or equivalently rigid tool such as a transmission jack. Securely support bottom of the engine and the transaxle assembly.

View attachment 3638
Thank you, that should help. From what I think I believe is the best way is to drop it thru the bottom. I had a Pontiac Fiero that the whole engine/trans cradle dropped out the bottom. Sounds like this may be the same. Thanks Again, Budd

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thank you, that should help. From what I think I believe is the best way is to drop it thru the bottom. I had a Pontiac Fiero that the whole engine/trans cradle dropped out the bottom. Sounds like this may be the same. Thanks Again, Budd
I do remember seeing one NV200 engine/trans assembly out on it's power train cradle, so it can be done.
Agree, The factory manual version might be more difficult for DIYer.
Good luck on the project & let us know how you fare.

·
Super Moderator
320 Posts
These don't have a full k-frame like the Fiero. That'd be too easy. The engine/transmission on these NV200's are bolted to the frame rails one each side and just hang there. There's a dogbone mount that stops everything from rocking between the engine and suspension cross member.

There was a post that someone made a while back that showed they pulled the drivetrain right out the front rather than out the bottom.

I replace a transmission in an NV200 from the bottom while leaving the engine in place.
If I were pulling both at the same time, I'd drop it out the bottom if I had access to a 2 post lift. You'd need to lift the van up at least 4ft or so to clear the drivetrain.

I have one on the lift right now that I'm replacing the ac compressor and condenser. I'll post some pics of it when I get time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These don't have a full k-frame like the Fiero. That'd be too easy. The engine/transmission on these NV200's are bolted to the frame rails one each side and just hang there. There's a dogbone mount that stops everything from rocking between the engine and suspension cross member.

There was a post that someone made a while back that showed they pulled the drivetrain right out the front rather than out the bottom.

I replace a transmission in an NV200 from the bottom while leaving the engine in place.
If I were pulling both at the same time, I'd drop it out the bottom if I had access to a 2 post lift. You'd need to lift the van up at least 4ft or so to clear the drivetrain.

I have one on the lift right now that I'm replacing the ac compressor and condenser. I'll post some pics of it when I get time.
Thank you so much for your help. I have now decided to go out from the front because if I do that I can work in my garage and if I go out from the bottom I can't due to only a 9' ceiling. I wanted to pull the front bumper cover off anyway. Looks like I should be able to even keep the wheels on after I remove the axle shafts from the transmission. Also in the book it calls out to remove the alternator and ac pump when going out the bottom. It looks like I can just disconnect them (I do have an ac evac system) and then take them off after I get the engine/trans out? Oh, I don't have a lift but have a truck transmission jack I can use to pull it all out with, I used it on my Fiero several times and even a couple Corvette transaxles. Any words of advice is always appreciated.
Budd

·
Super Moderator
320 Posts
I’d highly recommend borrowing or renting an engine hoist. It’d make that job a lot easier.
if that’s not an option a furniture dolly or two might come in handy? Lower the van til the drivetrain is resting on them, remove the two engine/trans mounts then jack up the van with a couple floor jacks and slide the drivetrain out the front(in theory).
be careful rolling a vehicle around without a drivetrain. The wheel bearings can come apart on you. I’d either stock the axles back in the hubs and snug them up, the. Suspend the inner half’s with a bungee cord or string. Or maybe even a large nut and bolt might work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts