NV200 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2020 NV200 van, I just installed brand new tires and rims and Kal tire noticed that the back had a fair amount of negative camber and they indicated that the new tires would wear out real early and not be there issue.
I have 23000 km on the unit. I rotated the tires twice already. And on the factory tires the inside is just about worn down. So Kal tire looked at it on there alignment rack and say its at -2 for each wheel which is the maximum spec, there was about 100 lbs of stuff in the back. They said if I put any more weight it would be over spec. I spoke to dealer and they indicated if its in spec, Nissan wont do anything. These have leaf springs and the back should be neutral camber. I'll push the dealer a bit next week but If they cant do anything I have to install washers on the top bolts to the hubs. I really shouldn't have to do this on a basically new vehicle. I drive 8-10000 km a month.
I also have an issue with antifreeze that is going missing, no leaks, but can small antifreeze from under the hood, In the first 15K km added 3 L to the bottle and red itself, its still going down. Found a transmission line leaking yesterday.
Any one else have axle issues? What was done.
IMG_7976.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
These vans have always had issues with rear tyres wearing out, really depends one the weight you carry, best option would be a chamfered shim on the hub similar to that used on the Leaf.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to install washers on the top two screws on the hub, but don't think I should have to touch this as this vehicle has 23000 km, its new. Under warranty, I will put the factory tires back on and head to the dealer and make it Nissans problem. A new vehicle should not show irregular wear on tires at 23000 with regular use. I would understand if I have hit something or abused it, not in this case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The technician at Kal Tire did indicate that I can install two washers/shimms on behind the top bolts to correct this but its not somthing that there shop would do, and most wont mess with this. I would have to do myself, which I find to be ridiculous that I have to fix a brand new vehicle myself.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I service 10 or so of these things. I've noticed they eat front tires pretty bad if not rotated every oil change (6000km).I try to keep them rotated pretty regularly. I would be weary of sticking washers behind your hubs. They are a pita to remove anyways. If your alignment gets worse in the next few months and becomes out of spec the dealer might help you out.
But I'd be worried they'll tell you you're sol if you bring it in and it's obvious you've been playing with the bolts. I believe they're 17mm though..
I came across this: nv200 wheel alignment – Nissan nv200 camper van from dinkum

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be demanding a rear axle replacement with the dealer. I have now taken off my new winter tires and put the factory tires back on, which have been rotated regularly and have the inside worn down more than the outside. I didn't buy a new van to have to be replacing tires every 15000 km because of a design flaw. Decent winter tires and rims are $1800 cdn. which these were, not wrecking them due to Nissans sloppy work.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yikes! What part of the country are you in?

I haven't bought from local tire shops in years. I just ordered a set of cheapo 17" winter tires and steel wheels for the wife's 2020 sorento shipped to my door...$730 Canackystan doll hairs.Tax in.
Just looked up aluminum wheels and fancy Blizzaks for an NV200. $1038 mounted and balanced all in shipped to Oilberta. That's excluding the overpriced tpms sensors they offer for $50 a wheel mind you but those are cheaper to buy from amazon, though I haven't tried aftermarket sensors on a Nissan yet. Even then, add on $200 for sensors and you're still saving $600. Too late now but I recommend that you check out pmctire.com next time or quattrotires.com . I've bought from both and they're legit, takes about 10 days to get them on average, maybe a little longer if you're in BC or way up north.
These vans are poorly assembled in Mexico. I've noticed a bunch of assembly fails once you pull some of the plastic panels from the interior. I also work on Mitsubishi's built in Thailand, surprisingly they are assembled far better for being 1/2 the price.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Don't compromise safety for dollars. Cheap tires are junk and not going that direction. Kal Tire hakkapelitta studded on rims, still have to install air sensors as well. And this isn't the point, the point is that I put good tires on my vehicles and maintain them well and should not have wearing tires on a vehicle with 23000 km, the issue here is Nissan has problems with there axles from new.
Nokian HAKKAPELIITTA 9 STUDDED tires

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I knew this had issues with rear axle and it was an old vehicle id buy cheap studded tires from wallmart to get me by for the meantime.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do see a fair amount of complaints on the net in regards to the rear axles and the negative camber right from 2014 and up. This seems to be a constant issue. At the best rather than putting heavy wear on my tires I will shim the top of the hubs out to give this neutral camber. Just saying this is something that people should not have to do and I was looking at getting two more of these vans but will not buy another Nissan for sure,, probably buy a Ford Transit. Thanks for your help Fummis.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We had over 20 of these vans in our fleet and despite other major issues, rear tire wear was not one of them.
It was the front tires that wore out quickly.

The only thing we did was to have the van driver load all their parts and tools into their vans.
After the van was fully loaded, we brought the vans in to get aligned.

If I recall, all you could adjust was the front toe, but it was a 4 wheel alignment to confirm all was ok.
We do the same for our Dodge Caravans also.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Don't compromise safety for dollars. Cheap tires are junk and not going that direction.
I hear you, I wasn't saying get cheap tires for your van. Just trying to save a guy $600. Local shops are expensive as you know. Tire warranty is a joke anyways too...
Anyways.... I'd be pissed too if I spent 20k on vehicle to have tires wear out like that.

I suppose you could do what Chevynv200 did and load yours up with some weight and send it to the dealer to get the alignment checked. A bit of weight would probably make it out of spec.

Cheers and **** Trudeau!

Edit: I just re-read the first post again. Reading is hard. As for the coolant, I've had to add a little in a van or two over the last few years but none have gone below the add mark. I only had to add a cup or two at a time and they stayed good. 3 liters in 2 months might not be great news. I haven't had one go through that much.

Same with the transmission lines. No leaks yet, oldest van is a 2015 bought new. I did have one van that's on single lane highway and backroads alot take a rock right in the transmission cooler and lost all the fluid cooking the transmission. The cooler is in a bad spot for our winters. Down low on the rh side of the bumper. The cooler is pretty thick but they take a **** kicking. I zip tied some expanded metal to the back of the opening while I bumper cover off during the transmission and cooler replacement. Looks good a few years later.

Other problems I've had are the sliding door handles are janky. The bracket that holds the cable to the back of the outter handle are poorly designed and bend over time causing the door not to open from the outside. There is an adjustment for one of the brackets that'll get you by for a while if you start to have a door that's hard to open.

I noticed when one high beam bulb burns out neither daytime running light will work. Good way to earn a ticket from the "sheriffs" or the other guys who like to pull people over for stupid reasons.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hey Fummins, I have tried several times to send you a PM but this forum won't let me.

I'm a huge Cummins diesel fan and I'm suspecting you have a Cummins in a Ford, likely an ex-Powerstroke Superduty?

If you want, try to send me a PM, so we don't get this thread off-topic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hey, this forum isn't really moderated so I don't feel bad going way off topic lol
I sold my Ford. Sadly....The new ol' lady hated trying to climb in it, my neighbors hated it, and it needed more work than I had time for.
It was a 99 F350 with a 12 valve and a dodge 6 spd(nv5600) 8" lift suspension lift on 37's. Was originally a 7.3l automatic. I did a carfax when I went to sell it and it bounced back and forth across the southern states for a while being repo'd and auctioned before coming to alberta. It didn't have any rust. I wouldn't mind building one some day, I miss having more cab room for 3 kids and a big dog.

Now I have a 05 dodge 6spd dually that's pretty much stock with just a smarty jr, yukon front hubs, webasto...But it's just a camper, toy hauler truck now..I drive a 3cyl turd car as a daily:/

·
Registered
72 Posts
You are likely in Edmonton? I am in Calgary. I don't think any rural areas are buying these vans.

Our company's venture with the NV200 was a complete failure and they lost a ton of money on the whole deal.
Couldn't give the vans away when they finally pulled the plug, they wouldn't even sell at the auctions.
We had about a dozen of our 20 NV200's kicking around the company lot for about a year. No one wanted them.

I have a 2004 Dodge 2500 Cummins that I bought new. Twin turbos, 600RWHP, NV5600, and all the supporting hardware.
I was actively involved with ABDiesels for years. We were in Edmonton many times for dyno get togethers before the oil industry collapsed.
I'm a huge Ford guy, still have my '89 Mustang 5.0L that I bought brand new when I was 21.
Many Ford trucks over the years also, but back in 2004, a Ford Powerstroke was the worst engine in the history of automotive engines. The infamous 6.0L.
A Common Rail Cummins in a 2005+ Superduty is the ultimate truck and a common swap these days.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They're holding up ok for the most part for us here. The odd rear wheel bearing, and sliding door handle problems. Tire wear. The one 2015 seems to be having the most problems though it doesn't have the most mileage.
I'm in Edmonton. Where you ever at afi for a dyno day?

The only powerstroke I had was an 05 or 06 that I bought for cheap that was hit hard in the b pillar. It ran and drove with an active status. I swapped most of the interior into the 99' then sold it for what I paid. I actually bought my fummins from Calgary in 2014, It was a white crewcab long box (pretty rare:sneaky:) with a huge dorky cummins sticker across the back window.
If I build a fummins it'd be an 05 up truck for sure. Not sure what engine,the 12 valve is nice with less crap to go wrong and usually cheaper parts but tuning on the fly is nice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I took my 2020 NV200 to the Nissan dealership in Spruce Grove, AB. Ca. They were much better than the one on the east end. Firstly my rear axle was at -1.9 and -1.7 on my back wheels with about 150 lbs of gear in the back. Nissan has -2.0 as there max in there system with is crazy. They asked the dealer to do an alignment on a unit in there inventory all they had was there 2019 parts van, so they did. That was -0.2 on both sides. So nissan has agreed to replace back axle. Should be in for this tuesday. The antifreeze vanishing thing is still being figured out, they pressure tested when it was hot and after a few hours the system has lost pressure. May be a head gasket. And the transmission was leaking at the transmission thermostat, so they have to replace that gasket. They did tell me I had a 5 yr 160000 km warranty, which is strange as the dealer I bought it at said is was a 3 yr 60000 km warranty and was trying to sell me aftermarket warranty.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They changed the axle today, and put back together, Camber is still the same. So now there changing the hubs too, if that doesnt work, they will shim my hubs and get new axle from different manufacturing date, may be a flaw here. Shouldn't have to mcgiver it to get it to be straight. Guess I should have my van back someday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Changed the hubs, and camber is the same. - 2.0 Nissan says its fine and within spec so they wont do any more.
I asked the dealer to put shims on the upper two hub bolts as I cant be wearing my tires with what I see. That will cost me $270 for that. Then I will contact Nissan myself and put in a case. Is there a manufacture association through Alberta Dealers / manufactures that can help me get this fixed or do I have to file a claim against Nissan through the courts. Pretty rediculas that a vehicle with 23000 km has bent axles from new, and even the new axles that were replaced are all the same and I have to pay and have shims/washers installed that are not recommended. I would assume that the factory has made axles that are out of spec and you cant get one that's correct until they retool factory.

·
Registered
101 Posts
This might be your best bet: CAMVAP - Home You could try amvic but I'm not sure if they deal with mfg defects? Home - Alberta Motor Vehicle Industry Council Let us know how that goes. The only dealership I've had a good experience with in the area has been LA Nissan in Leduc.
I'm pretty sure all our vans look like that. Same with little Mitsu cars. **** I just bought a new side by side this summer and it also has camber like that in the rear. Though I guess it's designed that way.
I just had a van in the shop with just over 100,000kms and the waterpump is starting to leak. I only noticed it while I was replacing the sqeaky belt. Didn't see it until I had the wheel and inner fender out of the way. These things suck to work on!. Designed by retards. Went to replace spark plugs the other day and the intake bolts were so tight I was afraid to break them off in the head. One bolt head stripped so I kicked it outside without bothering.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts