NV200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. This is my first post on here. I have a 2015 SV and I can’t stand that it feels like an elephant on rollerskates. I was looking to upgrade to a bigger wheels and I saw that Walmart on-line has 16 inch Altima wheels for $55.00/each, no tax and free shipping.

I ordered a set and I also came across some nearly new 16 inch tires for free.. They are 215/70/16. I’m not concerned about load rating as I don’t carry much weight in the van. Are they going to be too big though? I see most guys on this form with the upgrade to 16 inch I running something like at 205/55.

Also here’s an odd thing: my free 16 inch tires came wrapped around 2000 Mercury Sable wheels. I looked up the stacks on the sable wheels and it said 5X 4.5 bolt pattern.
I tried putting them on and they would not fit over the lug nuts. Not the end of the world… The centerbore was too small on these wheels and I would’ve had to pay to have it at enlarged. Just left a little baffled why the bolt pattern doesn’t seem to be the same when on paper it should be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to go with the 205/55/16 I found Federal Formoza XL load range tires (equal to D i think?) for $67.00 each, max 50 psi to make the tpms happy. They sound pretty cheezy to me but anything on the earth has to be better than my experience with the factory tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the 215's first that came with my Altima Wheels. I found it took too much away from the lower power it already has. I wound up ordering new michelin tires. 205-55-r16 for the Altima wheels. It doesn't look as good as it did with the 215's but it has the same power as it did with the factory wheels, but the Altima wheels look so much better. I wish I could find some sorta engine upgrades but I have searched all over and not even a chip that looks legit. I am ok with the power but wish it had more. Good luck

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, the stock tires look ridiculous and feel kind of skittish. I kept the stock wheels and went with 205/65/15 tires. Van feels rides so much more stable. Had a very windy day yesterday and the box still gets blown around, just not as bad. If you haven't already purchased, you might want to consult a tire size comparison chart from one of the tire franchises. I lost a little acceleration with my 205/65/15's but still acceptable to me. One thing about the tire comparison charts though is they are generic. Not all tires of a given size have the same exact dimensions so it pays to compare the actual tires/brands you are considering.

I like the meatier sidewalls so I probably would not consider 16" wheels down the road. Very happy with the 205/65/15 size. I did go with the cheapest tires from Discount Tire (Sentry Touring) as I didn't want to spend a lot on a tire that would not work as it was an educated guess.. About the only other size I would consider would be a 215/65/15 which would just be a little wider than what I'm running now. I'm assuming this wouldn't detract from my acceleration or mpg's and would add even more stable.

Please give an update after you run your tires for a bit. Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been running the 205/55/16’s for a week and it’s a huge difference. Rides a lot better, feels more stable. As for looks, this is the size these vans should come with. Looks like they belong. Also got some Altima hubcaps off amazon.

Wheels $220 Walmart.com
Tires $264. Simpletire.com
TPMS $120. Rockauto
Hubcaps $36. Amazon
Labor to mount/balance $100
$740 total.

Had I gotten a set of 4 stock tires, I’d have probably spent $86/tire (cheapest I could find) and the same $100 to mount balance.
$444 total.. and that’s same old TPMS and old dented wheels because the stock tires are so low profile I’ve dented 2 of them on potholes already

So, for roughly $300 more, I got all brand new stuff, improved ride and stability, much better looks, and speedo is only off by 2mph (reads 2mph slower than actual) I’ll confess I didn’t compare the speedo to gps before I did this so it could have been off before too

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts