NV200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Booming and twanging HELP please
I have a Nissan NV 200 *which I have fitted out as a Day van, (Kitchen, Cooker, Cooker, Storage, Water Tanks, Lights etc) but no bed but I can easily put down a 6 ft by 3 ft memory foam mattress on the floor. *but to accomdate me AND the missus I need to fit an awning with zip in walls. *To do this on an NV 200 I need to use DIY bracketry to mount awning carrier brackets to roof rails.
Problem is driving the NV 200 normally at 60 to 70 and the van is whisper quiet, but as soon as I fit insulated Rhino Roof Rails *they cause a very VERY loud hollow booming noise as soon as I get over 30 MPH. *Thats problem 1.

Problem 2 is *when I afix the CB antenna to its roof mount then once again it generates a noisy twanging whistling noise.
So has anyone any suggestions as to fit roof rails *and or CB antenna WITHOUT ending up *with a very noisy cab over 40 MPH??
Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Booming and twanging HELP please
I have a Nissan NV 200 *which I have fitted out as a Day van, (Kitchen, Cooker, Cooker, Storage, Water Tanks, Lights etc) but no bed but I can easily put down a 6 ft by 3 ft memory foam mattress on the floor. *but to accomdate me AND the missus I need to fit an awning with zip in walls. *To do this on an NV 200 I need to use DIY bracketry to mount awning carrier brackets to roof rails.
Problem is driving the NV 200 normally at 60 to 70 and the van is whisper quiet, but as soon as I fit insulated Rhino Roof Rails *they cause a very VERY loud hollow booming noise as soon as I get over 30 MPH. *Thats problem 1.

Problem 2 is *when I afix the CB antenna to its roof mount then once again it generates a noisy twanging whistling noise.
So has anyone any suggestions as to fit roof rails *and or CB antenna WITHOUT ending up *with a very noisy cab over 40 MPH??
Steve
Steve
Have you tried an air deflector on the front of the vehicle.I believe Nissan makes one for the NV200. This will change the aerodynamics of the van and may help. I have used them on full size vans to eliminate noise from ladders and racks.

Let us know if you find a solution.

Neal

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a simple and very cheap but totally effective solution.
Apparently ROOF RAILS and ROOF RACKS can cause a VERY loud booming, howling, whining, whistling, moaning noise cause by the wind affecting the front leading edge of the rail. And some bright spark came up with a simple fix, he wrapped some !/4 inch poly cord or elastic shock cord across the front and it breaks up the air flow thus stopping the noise from being generated. IT WORKS, from 50 to 70 BEFORE I modded the rail I could not talk to my wife without shouting because of the noise ( NV200s are VERY quiet normally). After the 5 minute mod its nigh on as quiet as without a rack.

https://youtu.be/sqwLxewsgTI
https://youtu.be/ESeMhjHyGfg
https://youtu.be/mbPYs9AAahw

1 - 4 of 4 Posts