NV200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.
I'm making a cover/lid for the file folder console on a 2015 NV200 SV US spec. I'll never use that container for file folders.

I've cut out a piece of lauan plywood that matches the curves as shown by the red line in the attached picture. The top of the lauan will be covered with the same carpeting used in the cargo area of my van.

The question I have is how should I secure the lid to the console? Right now the plywood sits down in the grooves of the console top, but I'd like to either have a hinge or something else. The shape of the container doesn't lend itself well to hinges. I don't want to use velcro. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased a Stanley 140 W Inverter with dual ac outlets which fits perfect on the edges of the file holder and with the short cord connects to the 12v outlet. It has an on/off switch and USB charging ports as well. $20 at the W Bigobx store.

Wayne

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a Stanley 140 W Inverter with dual ac outlets which fits perfect on the edges of the file holder and with the short cord connects to the 12v outlet. It has an on/off switch and USB charging ports as well. $20 at the W Bigobx store.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. That's an interesting idea. Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
There were several reasons for making the cover. Perhaps the main one involves my two 12 pound, 4-legged ankle biters. They like to jump onto the passenger seat of the van from the cargo area. With the opening in the file compartment, the results are great for comic relief, but rough on the dogs and the van.

After thinking about hinges for the cover this is what I came up with. One of the main thoughts I've had with the van is that I want to be able to put it back to stock condition in the future. Because of that I'm very hesitant to drill any holes in the van and nixed the hinges.

The first photo is of the cover on the file compartment.

The second photo shows the back of the plywood cover with grooves cut that match the raised lines on the top of the file compartment. I originally made a template out of craft paper that gave me the basic shape of the cover. After transferring that shape to plywood and cutting it out, I used a small hand sander to refine the shape. Then a marker was used to highlight the top of the grooves on the file compartment and the plywood was placed down on top. The marker ink transferred to the plywood and showed where to make the grooves. A miter box with a box saw was used to cut the grooves. Even though the raised lines on the top of the file compartment have a slight curve, cutting straight lines with the box saw had the advantage of fitting the raised lines tightly. The edges of the plywood were colored black and 3M 77 spray adhesive was used to attach the carpet to the plywood.

The last photo shows small metal rails that were attached to the sides of the compartment with double sided tape. This gives a little more support to the middle of the cover.

After a week or two, everything is working well and the girls find getting to the front seat much easier.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Me too. I just bought a 2019 version, and I can't find anything anywhere to use that slot for. I will never put files in there. I know this thread is a bit old...any other options?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts