NV200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi just got a 2014 model. I would like an awning which I can leave up. Suggestions most welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
You'll be looking for at low awnings, really.
Do you have an awning rail, or are you going to "rope it" over the top?
We have an awning C-rail mounted on the passenger side (UK) near the top of the roof - it's about 190cm long and about 175cm "up" from the ground. We have a poptop, so roping over the top isn't an option for us.
99% of low awnings are really designed for a minimum of 180cm "ground to awning rail connection" and an awning rail that's at least (but probably longer than) 200cm.
In reality, that doesn't mean all that much, but it does mean that the awnings don't fit as well as they might otherwise, despite their adjustment bits to gather up the fabric for smaller vans e.g. you'll probably have beading running over the edges of your rail (if you have one) and have to be a bit "creative" pegging it out around the tunnel.

With that in mind, we've had no problems with these:
  • Outdoor Revolution Cayman Snapper - no longer available, but Outdoor Revolution have current models that are very much the same - cheap and cheerful, use it for festivals
  • Khyam Motordome - we've an older version. Great awning, but a bulkier bag due to the quick erect system. Well made and bigger, although some people have trouble with the QE system
To be honest though, most small/low awnings will be fine, if you accept that it won't necessarily fit perfectly.
We picked both of these up second hand for a fraction of the original prices - both were pretty much mint too (they often pop up in local free ads, Gumtree, Ebay etc.).

We also have an Outdoor Revolution Turismo Pole that we did buy new, when it was reduced much more than it is now, but have yet to try it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Just wondering about the quality of some of them. Do you have any particular makes you would recommend?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. Just wondering about the quality of some of them. Do you have any particular makes you would recommend?
I've looked at many, over the years - all the mainstream vendors are fine, but they also all have occasional duff ones in their ranges (worth looking at reviews). Outdoor Revolution are the cheap to mid range, they're fine. Khyams are better built. I suppose the main vendor is Vango (amongst a few others - I've always thought Sunncamp's looked the best made, to be honest). You pay a bit of a premium for Vango, and they concentrate on their air awnings these days. Of the ones I've seen, they all seemed OK, although I personally wouldn't want an air awning, as they don't pack down particularly well into a small package, but some people love them.

If you have a local camping place with a display, it's worth going to have a look e.g. if you're anywhere near, this is a great place to view awnings as they have loads pitched outside that you can wander around (Covid-permitting, I suppose): Welcome to Norwich Camping | Norwich Camping & Leisure | Norwich Camping

1 - 5 of 5 Posts