NV200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a Curt brand hitch, model 13165 and bolted it up Friday, its a little challenging to get the bolts and such thru the frame but I work as a technician so it was just another job for me. If you dont work with your hands give yourself a few hours to install it.

Anyways, it bolted up, I wired in a trailer plug, thats tricky also because the brake lights are only 11.6 volts, but the tail lights are 13.7. I bought a wiring separator to cross the bridge of having separate brake and turn signals. Then I had to go to LED trailer lights as they will work on the 11.6 volt circuit and incorporate different LEDs for the brake and tail lights, if that makes sense to you. They do make a exact trailer harness for like $80, but that goes against my frugalness and my technical ability soars beyond spending money I can save by figuring things out on my own.

Also I went to buy a trailer Saturday, I was gonna get a all aluminum one for almost $2000, however my frugalness again played a role. My wife likes to get mulch once or twice a year, and why ruin a nice trailer hauling mulch and dirt when I can get a pre-delapidated one much cheaper. I picked up a 5 by 8 all steel trailer for $600 used lightly including the paperwork. Then I had to get the LEDs and light module for $60, so I still saved some coin there. And to boot, this all steel trailer is lightweight, it weighs 375 pounds, so I have another 1600 of hauling ability with it. I used it today and it hauls great, empty you dont even know the trailer is there, except the hitch/receiver rattle you hear once in a while. Once we put a scoop of mulch in it the hitch noise was gone completely. The van does show its lack of HP with the trailer full, but it still does the job and doesnt feel over worked in the least.

My local dealer actually convinced me to get the hitch/trailer. They said as long as I keep it around 1500 pounds and dont have much in the van, it should tow fine, that is provided I can get a hitch for the van (again Curt 13165 perfect fit made for the van). I asked them about my extended warranty I bought thru Nissan, and the lifetime warranty I bought thru the dealership on the drivetrain. Their response was as long as I get it serviced regularly thru that dealership they will honor my warranty, towing or not. I say this because Nissan does not rate the NV200 for towing at all.

Just my experience for anyone thinking of doing this.

I use my van for my sole proprietorship contractor business (electrical, plumbing mainly), cant wait to put my trench machine on the trailer now, instead of putting the dirty ass thing in the back of the nice new van anymore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got a trailer hitch. Curt and a wiring harness from etrailer.
I was having work done on van so had them install the hitch, did wiring kit myself.
Hardest part was hiding wiring under the trim panels but was able to do a good job it's all well hidden.
It uses the European type converter box and worked right first time. Nice. Took a 2-3 hrs to do. But mainly plug and play.
Towed a small aluminum boat with some wood on top maybe a 700# load.
Keep the total GVRW well with in the limits and no issues at all
Transmission did not notice it and the van performed the same as when I had a 1500# load with no trailer.
The only reason for no trailer rating I understand is for the modified chassis for the american market.
Euro models have a tow rating. Trans is used on many other Nissans with towing capacity.

I also use the hitch socket for a bumper protector so when I get loaded with a forklift the hit it and not the tiny bumper.
FYI I have chevy city express badged vehicle.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is the hitch protector I used.
I has to use a super bumper kit to make it fit but I now think a stock unit would also work.
The only issue is the bumper beeper sensors in the bumper
( not sure they are available on the Nv200)
Warren
City express/nv200 clone.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you having any issues with the hitch hitting the ground when going over bumps or anything? About how much room is there between the hitch and the ground?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi
Only time I hit any thing was when I had a good load in van and the bumper protector with the hitch facing down and I went over a very sharp bumper outside a pep boat car repair shop. I was going too fast Too.
Otherwise no issues.
I will say the bumper protector is low so it does not interfere with the backup sensors so it will not protect me from an SUV bumper.
I did back into a post and it did save my bumper.
If you don't have the sensors it could be higher , but just below the doors!
W

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey W,

Thanks for the response. That is good news, because I want to install a tow hitch for a bike rack. I think a hitch rack would be good for my situation, and having a hitch comes in handy from time to time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts