NV200 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hmmm Nissans are known for ignition problems the lip catches. But didn't realise NV200

Ignition switch has many parts lols expect plenty of youtube vids. Have to punch out pins to remove cylinder - done many being an auto lockie :)

Not much to add but you may be best to just replace whole assembly if your unsure. or call an auto-lockie

·
Registered
218 Posts
Remove the key and the round plastic piece that surrounds the tumbler where you put the key in just pulls straight out with your fingers or pry out with a flat head.
Turn the steering wheel 90 degrees to the left and right and you'll be able to see the 2 Phillips screw heads(one on each side)that are behind the steering wheel when straight-if that makes sense?
Then under the bottom cover you gotta stick a pick or whatever to release the clip that holds the cover to a metal bracket under the column. Or just give it a yank, it'll come.
For the ignition switch itself iirc there's just a small screw that holds the "switch" to the back of the ignition tumbler. I had to access the switch to install gps trackers in a bunch of vans.
If you need the actual ignition tumbler removed(the part where you put your key) then you typically have to turn it to the run position and push in on a small pin/dowel then it'll release and pull straight out. I haven't removed one from an NV but have on tons of other junk.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A recall on the 2017 NV200 ignition switch's because of the keys being to heavy. Wonder if I could complain to Nissan to get them to repair my 2014 ignition switch? Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
be the 1st time on any Nissan ignition switch i've seen screws - they are pins or maybe prev guy referring to the security bolts holding whole thing to shaft.
but then I've never had need to do an NV200 and not in US. Tho doubt different to uk

Keys too heavy? I've a 2017 UK model and same NSN14 blade. Not the key

If your having difficulty removing key from barrel then i know exact issue - which is common to many Nissans

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's in my local Nissan dealer begin fixed for a bad ignition switch for a price of 700.00 dollars and key has to be reprogram. Nobody outside of dealer can fix this told by many repair shops. Thank you all for the past help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking of Mitsubishi then, I know for sure on those things you can unbolt the actual ignition switch(plastic part with wires going to it) from the back of the ignition tumbler/cylinder/the part that you put your key into then turn it.

Either way,if the switch is part of the key cylinder you should be able to buy a used steering column for a few hundred bucks, take it to a locksmith and have the cylinder keyed to your key for far less than $700. And most competent locksmiths and even shops should be able to program a key if need be.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts