NV200 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the call today to tell me my van has been repaired following water Ingress Into the ecu resulting in new ecu and wiring harness
While in the main dealer I asked them to investigate a knocking on the steering rack. When parked up with the engine off if I turn the steering wheel left to right quite quickly I can hear a knocking sound both ways. This to me seems as if there may be play in a bush or some from of knuckle joint. Anyhow, I've been advised via the technician this knocking is normal and consistent with another nv200 they have in the workshop. I.e they both make the same noise
Question is does anybody else have this knocking sound when doing the same thing or is somebody trying to pull the wool over my eyes here ??
Thanks in advance
Phil

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have some knocking in the front suspension/ steering when driving. It's noticeable when I go over some bumps, at both low speed and high. I dont notice anything physically wrong with the steering, but I find it rather ridiculous that a knocking noise as noticeable as what I hear is an intended function of the design. If so that's just crap engineering. I havent gotten the van on a lift yet, but once I do I am going to see if there is anything loose.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have checked with an old work colleague who's company have 14 Nv200 vans in their fleet. It would appear out of 4 he has tested today all of them have a knocking/thud when turning the steering wheel side to side quickly when stationary ??

·
Registered
11 Posts
I put my vehicle up on a lift today and I could not find any loose suspension arms or components. I pulled on every suspension component connected to the front axle and nothing moved when the vehicle was off the ground. So in other words, I was unable to find anything that was loose that was visible under the vehicle without disassembling anything.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've also had this problem when turning the steering wheel, as well as going over bumps etc. Dealer installed strut mount spacers and the noise is gone. There's a dealer bulletin out for that particular issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've also had this problem when turning the steering wheel, as well as going over bumps etc. Dealer installed strut mount spacers and the noise is gone. There's a dealer bulletin out for that particular issue.
do you know if it's an active recall? My van is out of bumper to bumper warranty, and I am not paying for jack, so I am curious if it could still be covered or not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so... no further action being taken by the main dealer. I might give customer service a call to see if they are aware of any instances or repairs being undertaken

·
Registered
3 Posts
The attitude of most dealers toward their clients is unfortunate. Here's a copy of my invoice, with portion highlighted pertaining to the strut spacers.
Matt

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do you have a copy of the bulletin? I am curious specifically what is causing the noise and what the specific fix is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I noticed when I'm driving my Nissan nv200 and I'm driving at a slow speed of fast speed whenever I turn the steering wheel I can hear a cracking / grinding noise when the vehicle is parked it sounds like it's coming from the strut mount when someone was turning the wheel you can see the struts Moving and that's where the sound was coming from.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've had the same knock in my steering for as long as I can remember.
The Nissan dealer couldn't find the issue, I've checked the front end, suspension/steering numerous times.
I just ignore it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts