NV200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I posted an intro on that forum, and thought I'd update on the work I've been doing in a new forum thread.

We bought a 2015 NV200 SV in white - seemed like the only color any local dealer had. We looked at some other small vans as well as some very used VW and Roadway units. The used RV's just looked like money pits and weren't practical for daily driving or hauling. We must fit the van into an 80" (2 m) height residential garage so that further limited our search.

First changes were a Fantastic roof fan and a second battery installed behind the driver seat with an isolator between it and the main battery. Had a local shop do that work as I didn't trust my electrical knowledge and didn't want to jeopardize the warranty if I screwed up!

Next thing was a 6 ft awning off the passenger side, and a three-sided tent "Add-A-Room" that attaches to the awning to give us some space when camping. Ordered these and installed them myself. So far, so good.

Still trying to work out the interior details. I've built two beds so far but am not fully happy with either. Bed1.0 was a sliding slat platform (Google "Ian & Mad Mumsie" to see the concept). This worked pretty well, but the sliding movement interfered with storage under the bed. I found a pair of futon hinges and am just about done with Bed2.0 that is a lift & pull futon frame style.

Future plans are for LED lighting recessed in a 0.090 FRP ceiling. and either 0.090 FRP or Luan plywood for walls. Possibly a 12v refrigerator. Definitely storage units.

My goal is to make everything with a bolt-in design so the bed & storage can be easily removed to be able to haul items when needed.

I'll try to add a few pictures, will post separately if I mess that up.

We've already done 6 short 3-day camping trips and are having a blast. We're newly early-retired so it's great to be able to just throw a few things in the back & take off for a few days.

That's all for now, will try to post some more updates in the next month or two. We'll be coming & going over the next few weeks but will try to get back on any comments

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouraging words. Bed version 2.0 will get a test run this weekend in La Crosse WI. If I can get that finalized I can start on the electrical!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not so well. The futon hinges (only ones available that I could find) were not sturdy enough for this application. We're going back to the original slatted design, with some modifications for sliding storage bins & increased storage.

Since we live in MN and don't have a heated garage this work is delayed until April. Currently 15 deg. here! Our next expedition is planned for late April or early May.

Have been using the van to carry materials for some home improvement projects (new laminate flooring) which affirms my original idea to make it easy to install / remove the bed & storage units.

I'll try to post some pix when doing the work. I should be getting the hang of this soon!

Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts