NV200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Brand new NV200 owner here based in USA. Our brand new van had 8 miles on it when we got it and no coolant. It was purchased out of state and when I called the dealership to ask about the coolant they told me to go to auto zone and get some coolant..check for leaks underneath and bring it to local dealer if I noticed any issues. I now realize that person gave me bad advice. Anyway.. we filled the tank and monitored for leaks but didn't notice any, however the car smelled badly of coolant every time it was driven.

So we took it to the local dealer and they were able to locate a leak in the seal in the thermostat housing. Dealer fixed the seal, test drove and located another leak. They replaced the housing and all clamps and the water pump. Test drove again and found no more leaks.

I'm still smelling coolant when I drive, but I'm hoping that is residual from the previous leaks. Definitely very concerned about the quality of this vehicle. I purchased it new so that I would have reliable transportation and we are not off to a good start. Supposed to embark on a cross country trip and this occurrence is certainly unsettling. Anyone have any similar issues or feedback? Should I be worried about the smell persisting?

Thanks and hope everyone is staying healthy out there

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi, my first thoughts would be what damage might've been done running the engine with no coolant in. Having said that, with only 8 miles that's nothing. So, my view would be that yes a faulty seal isn't good but the odd mistake on a production line the size it is can be expected - that's why dealers do PDIs. However, having failed to have this defect spotted at the PDI, given that a real fault was found, twice, then rectified, I would imagine it has now had a more rigorous shake-down/examination than most so should be OK. I done a recent engine change on my son's car, and got coolant everywhere for one reason or another, and I could still smell coolant 200 miles later because I knew it was there I'm sure, he couldn't smell anything. Saw the car again a few weeks later and can't smell it in the car but can if I lift the bonnet....but there's no leaks/coolant loss. On top of that, ultimately, you'll still be under warranty

·
Registered
13 Posts
Im having the same issue. On the second oil change I noticed the antifreeze bottle was empty, filled that up and put 2 L in rad. so used up just over 3 litres. So took to another dealer they said it was a kinked block heater hose. They installed the block heater and it was smelling before that. So I didn't believe it, took to another dealer and asked them to pressure test it when hot and leave it for 4 hours, sure enough it lost pressure. Now dealer is looking for leaks and cant find. They said could even be small leak from head gasket. Haven't heard back yet its been at dealer now for a week, a few things including the rear axle. Thats another thread.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A kinked block heater hose? Good call going to a different dealer! The block heater on these things is just a cylinder looking cartridge that gets shoved into a round hole in the block. No direct contact with the coolant. Just shove a rod into a dry hole. I hate service advisors and clueless dealer techs.
Over the last few years I've seen countless f-ups from dealers all around the city. Had a spark transmission replaced in leduc under warranty, lower ball joint popped out of the spindle shortly after picking the car up while pulling into a driveway. Wheel was shoved back into the floor. Car got towed back, they replaced the axle boot that tore, and bolted everything back together. But didn't tighten the outer tie rod properly. So it wallered the hole in the spindle. They replaced the spindle then we sold the car asap before something else happened.

Just purchased a newer Ford cube van. It was cvipd at a local ford dealer. They did an alignment and adjusted the camber as per inspection form. Less than a month later one of the camber bushings for the upper ball joint fell off on hwy2...

Had a reman cummins installed at a shop on the west end. When they called and said the truck was ready to pick up I show up to pick it up and the wiring harness was routed by a retard, hoses were loose and leaking everywhere, found a dozen bolts that were finger tight. I left the truck and told them to fix their f-ups. Spend the 6 months to a year taking it back for more issues they caused..Forgot to torque air compressor properly causing timing case to crack, installed wrong belt tensioner causing belt to jump a few ribs after 1000kms. Eventually took the thing right to a different shop and had a similar problem.

I got into an argument with a dumbass service dork at a mitsu dealer, car had transmission problems. He argued telling me the iridium spark plugs were worn out at 100,000kms and the transmisison is fine. I limped it back to the shop, pulled the pan and found chunks of thrust washer in the pan....
Another time they couldn't figure out an electrical problem and tried saying I needed a new etacs module for $1500 and that might fix it. I drove it back to the shop and found a corroded wire that they missed.

The nissan dealer in Leduc was good to deal with though. I had a van that would randomly loose throttle and just go to idle. Dealer tried the simple things first, throttle body and pigtail first trip there then throttle control module the next time I brought it back. It was good for 1 year then the exact same problem re appeared. It was out of warranty but they helped push it though and have it covered as it was a previous known issue. Turns out it was a problem even before the van was delivered to that dealer when brand new! They ended up replacing the entire engine harness. Problem solved....Took a while but they eventually figured it out and covered everything.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Im having the same issue. On the second oil change I noticed the antifreeze bottle was empty, filled that up and put 2 L in rad. so used up just over 3 litres. So took to another dealer they said it was a kinked block heater hose. They installed the block heater and it was smelling before that. So I didn't believe it, took to another dealer and asked them to pressure test it when hot and leave it for 4 hours, sure enough it lost pressure. Now dealer is looking for leaks and cant find. They said could even be small leak from head gasket. Haven't heard back yet its been at dealer now for a week, a few things including the rear axle. Thats another thread.
I just had a 2017 Nv200 on the hoist. Belt was squeaking pretty good. Water pump is leaking at 120,000kms.. What a pos these things are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts