NV200 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Brand new NV200 owner here based in USA. Our brand new van had 8 miles on it when we got it and no coolant. It was purchased out of state and when I called the dealership to ask about the coolant they told me to go to auto zone and get some coolant..check for leaks underneath and bring it to local dealer if I noticed any issues. I now realize that person gave me bad advice. Anyway.. we filled the tank and monitored for leaks but didn't notice any, however the car smelled badly of coolant every time it was driven.

So we took it to the local dealer and they were able to locate a leak in the seal in the thermostat housing. Dealer fixed the seal, test drove and located another leak. They replaced the housing and all clamps and the water pump. Test drove again and found no more leaks.

I'm still smelling coolant when I drive, but I'm hoping that is residual from the previous leaks. Definitely very concerned about the quality of this vehicle. I purchased it new so that I would have reliable transportation and we are not off to a good start. Supposed to embark on a cross country trip and this occurrence is certainly unsettling. Anyone have any similar issues or feedback? Should I be worried about the smell persisting?

Thanks and hope everyone is staying healthy out there

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, my first thoughts would be what damage might've been done running the engine with no coolant in. Having said that, with only 8 miles that's nothing. So, my view would be that yes a faulty seal isn't good but the odd mistake on a production line the size it is can be expected - that's why dealers do PDIs. However, having failed to have this defect spotted at the PDI, given that a real fault was found, twice, then rectified, I would imagine it has now had a more rigorous shake-down/examination than most so should be OK. I done a recent engine change on my son's car, and got coolant everywhere for one reason or another, and I could still smell coolant 200 miles later because I knew it was there I'm sure, he couldn't smell anything. Saw the car again a few weeks later and can't smell it in the car but can if I lift the bonnet....but there's no leaks/coolant loss. On top of that, ultimately, you'll still be under warranty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts