NV200 Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Whoever specified purchase of the NV200 for your application clearly did not do his/her homework, as it is way over-loaded.
:surprise:

Lol, where to start...

The NV200 has a GVWR of 4700lbs. My van with me and full tank of fuel and all my gear and tools currently weighs in at approx. 4320lbs.
So mathematically, I am not over the GVWR.
I haven't measured each axle to see if I am over either the front or rear GAWR.

Realistically, the van is extremely light duty and underpowered.
Anything more than a bouquet of flowers or a sheet of lattice and it's over-loaded. :smile:

I was the pilot for our local company branch and have fed back all my findings with this van to our mgmnt.
We have about 7 of these vans now but there will be no more hopefully.
We were previously using Dodge Caravan's.

For now, I keep driving it.
I will paint the other 3 wheels black so they look better.

I plan to install Nokian WR All weather tires (205/60R15's) this fall.
They are a little taller and wider with a weight rating of 1520 lbs @ 50psi.

Hopefully this will improve the handling and stability of the van, plus look much better.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Realistically, the van is extremely light duty and underpowered.
Anything more than a bouquet of flowers or a sheet of lattice and it's over-loaded. :smile:

I was the pilot for our local company branch and have fed back all my findings with this van to our mgmnt.
We have about 7 of these vans now but there will be no more hopefully.
We were previously using Dodge Caravan's.
Well I'm just agreeing with you. Ours is for travelling with our pets and even at that I was suspicious of the 4-banger's ability to keep-up on the interstate. It does just fine i.e. will cruise at 85mph if need be but then we have only a few hundred pounds of cargo.

I think it WAS designed for florists and other light-duty urban (close quarters) delivery people. I've read that even locksmiths are not thrilled with it though--carrying too many tools and heavy parts I guess.

I really DON'T know how so many Europeans have been using them as campers though. I would never trust it for that!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
Several folks have asked me to post up some pictures of the van.

Note the cheapo plastic hub caps. Wood shelves that run down the driver's side of the van.
The van and the driver's side shelves are fully loaded. That's why the van leans about 2" to the drivers side.

Also note the passenger side rear wheel is black instead of the original silver color. It's a new wheel that replaced a damaged wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE Oct 2015:

So the Nokian WR All-weather tires were installed earlier this week.
205/60R15 95H. Rated at 1520lbs at 51psi.

Stock tires are 185/60R15C rated at 1472lbs, 55 PSI
Stock wheels are 15x5.5".

185/60R15 -- 23.7" diameter -- 1472lbs -- JK Tire

195/65R15 -- 25.0" -- 1520lbs -- Nokian WRG3 -- 5.5% diff
205/60R15 -- 24.7" -- 1520lbs -- Nokian WRG3 -- 4.0% diff
55psi.

The Fleet company was adamant to install the taller 195/65R15's which made no sense. It took me a while to change their mind.

The 205's are more than an inch taller than the stock tires. They are significantly larger, about an inch wider tread also.
This raised the van about a 1/2 inch. There is no rubbing of the tires whatsoever.

The speedo is off slightly now. 100km/hr (60mph) reading is now about 103-104 km/hr 62-63 mph. Not too bad.

The acceleration of the van has been affected. You can definitely feel it. Its more sluggish and highway acceleration is also very noticeable.

The taller sidewalls make the van feel mushier but the wider tires improve cornering performance. The ride is much softer, it sure changes how the van feels.
I run the tires at 48-50 PSI. Van is about 4200 lbs fully loaded with me in it.

Pics: Note I painted the silver wheels black.

----

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I can't win with this van.....

1 of my new Nokian tires failed in the 1st week.
The right rear developed sidewall separation, several bulges in the sidewall.

I don't recall hitting any major potholes or anything like that.
No scuff marks on the tire at all, no marks on the wheel at all.
It's at the tire dealer for analysis and replacement.

One should note that the majority of Nokian tires are now made in Russia, (I hate to support Russia), rather than Finland.

This is why Nokian tires are now cheaper than in years past.
I should also note that my last set of work van tires were also Nokian WR All-weather tires made in Russia with no issues in 2 years.

The 4 new tires are also over 2 years old (DOT date code) and are all of the same batch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had to replace the factory tires after about 30,000km. I was certainly not going to get the same tires.

Option 1:
CONTINENTAL, 185/60R15C, 94/92T, TL, VancoContact

Price for 4 installed: close to 900$. 2 months lead time.

Option 2: Nokian eNTYRE 195/60R15XL.

Went that direction. In stock, less expensive, now the speedo is dead on, and I can live with the slightly reduced load.

View attachment 577

Phil
What's the maximum psi rating of your new Nokian tires? Can't find the info online. Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Update:

Van now has 16000km/10000miles on it now. About 2000km/1200miles on the new and larger Nokian All-weather tires.

Tire dealer replaced the failed Nokian tire, no questions asked. No other tires issues since.

After 1200miles on the new larger tires, they are ok I guess. Fuel mileage and acceleration have definitely suffered.
I haven't hand calculated the fuel mileage and the in-dash fuel mileage reading cannot be trusted, especially now with the larger diameter tires have skewed the odometer.

The van was totally gutless before and now it is worse. I really have to be careful pulling out into traffic and merging on to freeways.

The tire is really too large in diameter. I have no idea how you guys who have installed even larger diameter tires can drive the van around.

On a positive note, no other issues with the van. The front brakes are at about 50% wear which is to be expected.
The brakes on the NV200 are ridiculously small and frequent replacement will be necessary. I still shake my head at the tiny rear drum brakes on the van.
Also note that my van is fully loaded all the time and all hard city miles.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Update:

Van now has 26000km/16000miles. All hard city miles, all with the van fully loaded at just over 4500lbs.

No other issues with the Nokian All weather tires. It's been a fairly mild winter here but a fair amount of snow.
These tires have no problem in snow at all.

However, the 205/60R15's are too large in diameter. They greatly affect van performance, drive-ability and fuel economy.
195/60R15's would be a better choice but no one makes a tire in this size that has the load capacity and pressure rating.

No issues with the van. Cold weather starting (-25C/-13F) with the tiny battery is fine.

Since the van's fuel tank is so tiny and the van gets horrendous fuel economy, I am filling up every 2nd day.
The poor design of the fuel tank filler on the passenger side really drives me nuts.

I disabled the fuel tank filler release door latch and just formed the door so friction holds it closed.
So I just hop out of the van, open the passenger sliding side door, pull open the fuel tank door, close the side door and fill up the tank.

No more jumping out of the van, walk around to fill it up and realize that I forget to release the fuel tank filler door.... Stupid Nissan design.

We have about 20 of these vans now on the road. Other that the usual young guys banging them up, no major issues to report.
They do seem to be reliable.

·
Registered
4 Posts
With your fleet I guess you have a good perspective of the NV-200 . I 'm looking to replace my Toyota for the Nv200 and I'm little affraid by the reliability of the wee Nv . In 111000 km with my Scion : 110 $ for 4 brake pads & nothing else ( obviously regular oil change ) . The van will be use for recreational ''duty'' , some bicycle in the back and camping gear . I test drove the NV & it's seem ok , but I wonder on highway long trip if the van is exhausting to drive ? My low scion tc is very pleasant in this aspect and in the twisties . I could make some compromise but I remenber a previous car ( kia Rondo ) who was very exhausting when the wind blowed . Briefly : about reliability , would you repurchase the NV ? ...and some comment about the '' pleasures of driving '' your Nv , specialy if the must change to taller tires could lead to a mushier ride . Thanks in advance .

·
Registered
34 Posts
How's your van holding up?
My work has a fleet of 8 nv200's right now. Other than the one van with the americrap tires they seem to be holding up ok. There have been a few issues opening doors in the winter though.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
My 2015 NV200 was just retired from our fleet after 3 1/2 years 100000km/65000 miles.

As can be seen from my previous posts, it was a work van, loaded to right near the GVWR from day one.
All work, all hard city miles.

It was completely trashed and worn out. We dumped our entire NV200 van fleet (20vans) , back to Dodge Caravans.

Front rotors warped.
Transmission badly slipping.
Front and rear Suspension (shocks and springs) all completely worn out.
The front end would no longer align properly.
Loose steering rack.
Numerous knocks and clunks from the front suspension that the dealer could never resolve.

I think that's it.

I hated this van from day one and it is not designed for hard commercial use.
It's designed to drive Grandma back and forth to bingo.

As for tires, there are now several tire options available now:

As previously posted, I ran the Nokian All weather 205/60R15 tires which were too large in diameter but the best available at the time.

There are now several good choices available in LT185/60R15C.
In the correct LT185/60R15C size, load and pressure rating.

Although these tires are labelled the same size as the original JK 185/60R15 tires, they are much wider and slightly taller in diameter.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/fitmentresult/tires/size/185-60-15?q=:price-asc:loadRange:C5&page=0

Skip the Chinese tires. The Coopers, Continentals and Nokians are the ones to consider.

I ran the Nokian WR LT185/60R15C tires for the last year. They were excellent in winter and summer,
better handling than the mushy 205/60R15 Nokians due to the much stiffer sidewalls.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts