NV200 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why Nissan is discontinuing NVs in the United States? Is something similar happening in Europe?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm guessing they weren't very profitable. Cheap vehicles usually don't make mfg's lots of profit unless they sell a **** load of them. I don't see lot's of nv200's like I do suv's and f150's.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Does anyone know why Nissan is discontinuing NVs in the United States? Is something similar happening in Europe?
my dealer thinks that the small work van market here is very small anyway so even with a large market share NV200 was not going to sell well.

He said the larger ones had stiff competition from Ford and Sprinter who both spend more effort cultivating the market. he also sent me this " Only about a fourth of the brand’s U.S. dealers made the necessary store investments to enter the commercial vehicle business in 2011. they installing heavy-duty lifts capable of raising 30,000 pounds of loaded vans, extending business hours to accommodate contractor needs and hiring a sales staff dedicated to fleet issues.".

Nissan also does not have the variety of pickup trucks or the pickup name that the Ford has. Some larger contractors like to have all their vehicles from the same maker to streamline operations. Nissan also gave up early on l the passenger versions of the NVs. so they lost all that visibility that the Transit Connect and Transit have as the passenger vans scurry around.

I am bummed. the NV200 was perfect for me. I may have to go back to old siennas stripped out. I despise the Transit Connect and little Ram City. plus I thought the NVs were good looking. that apparently places ,me in the minority.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my dealer thinks that the small work van market here is very small anyway so even with a large market share NV200 was not going to sell well.

He said the larger ones had stiff competition from Ford and Sprinter who both spend more effort cultivating the market. he also sent me this " Only about a fourth of the brand’s U.S. dealers made the necessary store investments to enter the commercial vehicle business in 2011. they installing heavy-duty lifts capable of raising 30,000 pounds of loaded vans, extending business hours to accommodate contractor needs and hiring a sales staff dedicated to fleet issues.".

Nissan also does not have the variety of pickup trucks or the pickup name that the Ford has. Some larger contractors like to have all their vehicles from the same maker to streamline operations. Nissan also gave up early on l the passenger versions of the NVs. so they lost all that visibility that the Transit Connect and Transit have as the passenger vans scurry around.

I am bummed. the NV200 was perfect for me. I may have to go back to old siennas stripped out. I despise the Transit Connect and little Ram City. plus I thought the NVs were good looking. that apparently places ,me in the minority.
In my market, Nissan NV had 30+% of the market, Best MPG, Lowest cost of ownership, lowest initial price and specs that met as many if not more of local needs than the competition. On this basis, I sold to loyal Ford buyers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In my market, Nissan NV had 30+% of the market, Best MPG, Lowest cost of ownership, lowest initial price and specs that met as many if not more of local needs than the competition. On this basis, I sold to loyal Ford buyers.
If you are willing to put in the time with Face-to-face B2B business development, these results are achievable anywhere. I feel that most dealerships just don't want to put the needed effort. In my small dealership, I projected $6,000,000 in annual revenue in just over 2 years. Also, Nissan's commercial sales training is right on the money. It's appears to me that Nissan just didn't manage dealer expectations.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It could also be that it has reached the end of it's contracted production cycle and that they have decided to build different models on those lines.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'm not surprised. The NV200 did not sell well in my area of Canada and I suspect it didn't sell well across North America.

Our company had about 20 of these vans several years ago before we abandoned them.

Looking back, the vans had weak points, common issues, flaws, etc.. but so does every vehicle.

The poor fuel economy was a major factor. Our van's were fully loaded near GVWR full time.
The van's are so underpowered (150HP 2.0L gas engine with CVT trans) that they struggled at all times.
This really made a terrible driving vehicle and poor fuel economy with a tiny fuel tank.

Most of our guys had to fill up the fuel tank on their NV200 every day.
That's ridiculous, hurts productivity and all our employees including me, hated this factor.

Just to compare, we went back to Dodge Caravans, with a 3.6L V6 gas engine and 6 speed traditional auto trans.
Slightly larger van, much larger engine with 280HP, only slightly larger interior space, same amount of gear and tools inside.
Better fuel economy, better range, better handling, better drivability, better reliability, much more comfortable.

And the Dodge Caravans are outdated, old school vans, now also discontinued.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think my work is gonna buy a bunch more while they can. We've had good luck with them overall but they still are kinda cheap and junky. The 2020's we just got in have a bunch more tie down points on the walls so that's a bonus. Work likes them cause you can fit a 55gallon drum on a skid inside them. As far as fuel economy goes, I honestly don't think anyone is keeping track of how much they actually use, I wouldn't be surprised if a 4.8L gm fullsize van was comparable on fuel. We had a few with close to 900,000kms on them.

The promaster city was a lot more expensive and I hate fords though they do keep me busy. They suck to work on and the few 2017-2018 E-450's we bought with around 30,000miles are pieces of **** compared to the 06 Savana 2500's they replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts