NV200 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

this is my van just got back from work and notice I had a oil leak so opened the bonnet and this is what I was greeted with.
has anyone got any advice what it could be or why this has happened???
oil coming up into the water tank. No water in the dipstick.. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
62 Posts
My guts say head gasket but that looks like a sudden and major explosion of oil out of the expansion bottle - normally there'd have been other signs before it got that bad I would have thought. Good luck. Was the oil level low on the (unwatery) dipstick?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes that’s what happened taken the Lid off and starting flowing out like a build up of presure..
haven’t had any other signs of it happeneing no water in the dip stick was oil in there and that’s what’s come through water tank

·
Registered
62 Posts
That's nasty and unfortunately looks like it's not going to be an easy fix. Really annoys me on modern vehicles that there's no temperature gauge (until it's too hot) - there might have been an indication that it had been running hotter that might've led to you checking things earlier.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tell me about it abit of an indication before hand would of made all the difference might of stopped a possible 2-3 things from happening

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'd agree that looks like diesel engine oil. Do those things have an engine oil cooler in the rad or heat exchanger?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’m not too sure if I’m honest I’m trying to find that out myself.
But if it has got a cooler on it I’m hoping that it’s just that needs replacing rather than potentially having to get a new engine completely

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is an oil cooler - it just looks like a laminated aluminium block . I found mine last week (2011 89hp dci - looks physically the same as yours from the top of the bay - minus the oily mess:D ) doing an oil change because I couldn't get the filter off in it's godawful position, so I had to remove the filter housing (single 19mm bolt just below filter) and got the filter off on the bench. Unfortunately I couldn't just bolt it back on (well I did but it pissed oil out) so needed to wait until today for new o rings for the bolt to arrive (leak free now - fingers crossed). Anyway, back to the cooler - the filter housing bolts onto a hollow bolt that runs through it, and there are two coolant system connections above it, so I suppose the thing could 'delaminate' and pass through what it shouldn't. The oil/coolant connections themselves can't connect (from what I can make out) as the oil feed bolts through it from the filter housing into the head (Correction - into the block I think, not head), whereas it looks like the coolant connections are from a separate pipe assembly. In addition, although it wasn't affecting it, the nut for the cooler was loose (not even finger tight - felt it moving when hand rubbed against it manhandling filter housing off) so I nipped that up - ultimately the filter housing bolt being done up holds it all on anyway as it seems to be the same hollow bolt clamping it all on - mind you, that wasn't very tight atall either. Hope I've explained that OK

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi yes that’s very helpful thank you now I know what I’m up against can try and sort it 👌

·
Registered
62 Posts
Also you can use
to help find parts - it's hard to know exactly which of the models to choose to open up but you get there - then you can google part numbers to find the non-genuine equivalents to save a few bob on items that you would do this on by not going main dealer. For example, having just take a punt I can confirm that Elring oil filter housing o ring set 365.960 did fit mine so is equivalent to Nissan part number 1522800QAA, You'll find the oil filter etc under 'Engine Mechanical' then 'Lubricating System', whereas the oil cooler, which it mounts directly to, in the 'Exhaust and Cooling' - if that's the direction you go down
Good Luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts