NV200 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a USA 2013 NV200 SV. I recently replaced all my brakes, front and rear. Upon putting the rear brakes back together I noticed I had a leaky brake cylinder so I replaced it (it was a dealer item). After replacing the cylinder I needed to bleed the lines of course. I went in the following sequence. Right Rear, Left Rear, Right Front, and then Left Front. The first 3 lines went like clockwork (using the one man method). I was careful to make sure that the master filler was topped off before bleeding each line. The left front keeps bleeding air bubbles and I've filled the master twice. It STILL has air in the system.

I'm not a mechanic, but a do-it-yourselfer. I'm wondering if I'm bleeding in the wrong sequence or just missing a critical detail somewhere. I couldn't find a repair manual online to show me where the ABS unit is to verify if I'm doing something wrong. Does anybody have a suggestion for a fix?

·
Registered
86 Posts
What's the "one man method"? If it's sticking a hose on the bleed screw and the other end into a bottle of brake fluid then pumping the brakes I'd guess it didn't work out? I've had to use a vacuum bleeder on a few vehicles but I've never had to bleed the abs assembly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi-ya Fummins. Thanks for your response. Yes, the one man method is exactly as you said. An employee from Autozone told me that if the ABS unit was in the front, then I'm doing it right, but if its in the rear, then I need to reverse the bleeding order. I don't know what the ABS unit looks like, but I'm trying it this morning in reverse order. Supposedly, the bleeding needs to start with the farthest bleeder valve. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When bleeding the normal way you start from the furthest wheel and work forward. I have a vacuum bleeder and the instructions for it said start from the closest point and work your way to the furthest away. I hate bleeding brakes and usually end up asking for someone to help. It usually takes way longer when you are surrounded by idiots though.

The abs unit is usually under the hood, just follow the brake lines from the master cylinder. They should lead right to it, should be a bunch of wires and brake metal brake lines going to it.
I don't have on in the shop to look and haven't needed to deal with that yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When bleeding the normal way you start from the furthest wheel and work forward. I have a vacuum bleeder and the instructions for it said start from the closest point and work your way to the furthest away. I hate bleeding brakes and usually end up asking for someone to help. It usually takes way longer when you are surrounded by idiots though.

The abs unit is usually under the hood, just follow the brake lines from the master cylinder. They should lead right to it, should be a bunch of wires and brake metal brake lines going to it.
I don't have on in the shop to look and haven't needed to deal with that yet.
Thanks again Fummins. I got tied up today, so the brakes get put off till tomorrow morning. I can't say that brakes are my favorite maintenance task either! The good news is that this is the first time I've replaced any of the brakes on my 2013 NV200... and I've got just over 140k miles on it! The rear shoes were completely wore down with only the most minor of pads left. No damage in the least to the drums though! The front pads still had 20% left on them. I guess I'm a light braker! I'm on my 4th set of tires though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts