NV200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was considering one of these NV200's and even went to a couple of dealerships to inquire. But I couldn't stop thinking about how much I dislike the tires/wheels. And they seem to have a lot of problems, from what I gathered. I hadn't even noticed this thread yet. Now I'm looking at getting a Nissan Frontier pickup and custom outfitting it's bed instead. That would work in my situation. If quality and tires were better on the NV200 I would have been happy to make it my company's first vehicle.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I was considering one of these NV200's and even went to a couple of dealerships to inquire. But I couldn't stop thinking about how much I dislike the tires/wheels. And they seem to have a lot of problems, from what I gathered. I hadn't even noticed this thread yet. Now I'm looking at getting a Nissan Frontier pickup and custom outfitting it's bed instead. That would work in my situation. If quality and tires were better on the NV200 I would have been happy to make it my company's first vehicle.
You can get around the tire/wheel by getting an aftermarket set. I picked up 17" rims off an Altima and put on 215/50/17 tires for roughly $350 OTD(my winter set. No TPMS). OE steelies are UGLY and tires are EXPENSIVE.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've got just over 3000 miles on my NV200 and so far it's(from my last post) been in for rear side(sliding) door issue, and about to go in for an exhaust/brake rattle. Rear sliding doors started to stick/not close, dealer replaced the hinges and readjusted the latch points. Made the doors easier to operate but sometimes it still won't close right. Just today it developed a loud rattle when it's in drive and your on the brake pedal, on level surface. Seems to be coming from the rear end, sounds almost like ABS is kicking in non stop but also like the exhaust is rattling. I looked under and all of the bushings are in place.

Very cheap vehicle. Everything works but new things are always popping up once in a while. My $1000, 250,000 mile, 12 year old Subaru beater had the same amount of issues...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes,but you cant get that kind of Subaru new or any kind of those better quality days Vehicles and we have now even cheaper made vans/cars.Lots of cheap but modern electronic inside so other parts must save factory costs =lots of plastic all over,thin sheet metal,Engine+gearbox one "sealed box"+disposable item 150000km or 10 years then to crusher and buy new one,thank you.
Too expensive to give "artificial respiration" and try to give longer life to it because you cant fix it yourself,must be professional/tools right+parts expensive and that electronic....

But that Exhaust rattle...Yep..it comes from passenger side,just beginning of that exhaust pipe where it can shake so much that it gives that sound=put something,like silencer fixing paste to joints (+ piece of wood/rubber etc if it gets too near to frame).
Hot Place=Not burning yourself and not burning fixing methods=)
Hope you understand and sorry again about my English...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hopefully some useful info... I have 7 NV200's from 2010 to 2015 vintage. The 2010 van snapped a cambelt at 120,000miles (and yes it had been changed at 75k) - terminal engine. The second 2010 van blew head gasket at 145,000 miles, and a 2011 van had a failed turbo at 120,000 miles. Generally though, these vans are superb, great mileage (all diesels) and nice to drive - although I agree with an earlier post that the window switch is a pain in the knee - and a 6th gear would really be useful!
Odd problems are that the older vans have - they like to blow bulbs regularly and the two 2012 vans both seem to have the immobiliser kick in if the side door is opened before the drivers door. Baffled us as well as the Nissan dealer. The annoying idle rattle is caused by the air intake clip losing its grip - easily fixed with a cable tie.
I also have some Ford vans, no more or less niggles than the NV200's. I've yet to find anything better for our use although may consider going petrol now.
Hope this is of interest to someone!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires

The tires are bald after 22k miles. I called service and they stated that the tires should be rotated every5k miles and have an alignment every year. That's BS !!! Only 1 make for the tire with a c rating!!! Nissan needs to put 16inch wheels on and use a better tire!! I had to get Nissan rogue wheels and continental tires, redo the tire inflation monitors etc. to the tune of 2k dollars.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tires, and other issues

The tires are bald after 22k miles. I called service and they stated that the tires should be rotated every5k miles and have an alignment every year. That's BS !!! Only 1 make for the tire with a c rating!!! Nissan needs to put 16inch wheels on and use a better tire!! I had to get Nissan rogue wheels and continental tires, redo the tire inflation monitors etc. to the tune of 2k dollars.

Living in the United States I own a NV200 from the North America plant, which I assume is based in Mexico. It is a 1.6 liter gas engine. After 70,000 miles in three years however, the most significant problem has been the tires. The OE American Cargo tires that come with the vehicle are nearly the only tires available. They are very expensive and don't seem to last 35,000 miles even with proper maintenance. There is only one other tire allowed to be mounted to the vehicle and they are even more expensive: the Continental. IMO it is the light weight of the vehicle at highway speeds that make the tires wear so rapidly. $500 plus to be replaced at the dealer or a qualified auto shop.

The vehicle has performed mostly well, but a major breakdown is a concern. The only chronic problem other than the tires so far, is a "clicking" noise from the steering assembly. Apparently, this is endemic to many north American Nissan models. All mechanics I have spoke with say it is minor and won't affect future performance.

I will say about the NV200 however, the throttle control is terrible. The navigation system screen is unreadable during the day. The sun-visors are absolutely useless. The cruise control should be recalled. And the position of the gear shift makes it too easy to knock out of gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im starting up a new business and I'm looking at the new NV200. I have a few Ford Transits used in the area but Ive heard bad things about them. Is there any known problems with these vans yet? My dealer is offering a life time unlimited time/unlimited miles warranty on the drive train.
A bit late but I have had problems with corroding discs , only 3 years and 16000 miles for no reason .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yea thats the only thing holding me back. Im a small appliance repair company and from time to time Ill need to go get stuff from Lowes to install for people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re towing

I got a trailer hitch.A Curt and a wiring harness from etrailer.
I was having work done on van so had them install the hitch, did wiring kit myself.
Hardest part was hiding wiring under the trim panels but was able to do a good job it's all well hidden.
It uses the European type converter box and worked right first time. Nice. Took a 2-3 hrs to do. But mainly plug and play.
Towed a small aluminum boat with some wood on top maybe a 700# load.
Keep the total GVRW well with in the limits and no issues at all
Transmission did not notice it and the van performed the same as when I had a 1500# load with no trailer.
The only reason for no trailer rating I understand is for the modified chassis for the american market.
Euro models have a tow rating. Trans is used on many other Nissans with towing capacity.

I also use the hitch socket for a bumper protector so when I get loaded with a forklift the hit it and not the tiny bumper.
FYI

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gear problems

Hi just purchased an 2015 NV200 with 4k miles at auction with damage to rear doors. When i had it delivered it turns right up but will not shift into gear, does anyone know if they have some srs sensor that might inhibit being put into gear?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beware the vehicle is considered commercial and you're premiums will be high. Verify with you're insurer before you get the "cargo van"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beware, the vehicle is considered at risk by insurance companies and they cost a mint to insure. Get a quote first before you proceed!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey,
I need to replace the turbo on my 2010 nv200.
Can anyone tell me if I can use a turbo off a newer nv200?
Also, I can't get to the part number on mine without removing the unit, any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Windscreen washer pump appears to have stopped working. Have checked the fuse and the stalk is still causing the wipers to activate to think it's unlikely to be switch. Anybody else had the same problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Windscreen washer pump appears to have stopped working. Have checked the fuse and the stalk is still causing the wipers to activate to think it's unlikely to be switch. Anybody else had the same problem?
I replaced the washer pump today. Local Nissan garage didn't stock the part and said they had never had to supply one before. Having spoken to other NV200 owners the failure was possibly caused by running out of washer fluid and is a fairly common problem. Easy change but part was £50. Hope this isn't the start of more problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Technical documents

Hello all, hello Phil,

I have been a happy owner of a NV200 for 60000km+ and 3years+ (with custom made bed and camping gears... :) ) and the warranty having ran out, it is time for me to put my hands in the care taking.

Thus I am looking for the technical documents for NV200 (I don't know the right name for it in english, what I mean is a 300+ pages book with schematics and detailled protocoles for all possible maintenance and repair operations on the car).

Phil, you display a schematic on your post, would you be able to direct me towards the document from which this come from? This would be of great help!

Thank you :)

François

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all, hello Phil,

I have been a happy owner of a NV200 for 60000km+ and 3years+ (with custom made bed and camping gears... :) ) and the warranty having ran out, it is time for me to put my hands in the care taking.

Thus I am looking for the technical documents for NV200 (I don't know the right name for it in english, what I mean is a 300+ pages book with schematics and detailled protocoles for all possible maintenance and repair operations on the car).

Phil, you display a schematics on your post, would you be able to direct me towards the document where this come from? This would be of great help!

Thank you :)

François

41 - 60 of 71 Posts