NV200 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
We are currently planning to go view a 65reg NV200 combi, with the plan to do a basic camper conversion. Can anyone help advise on a couple of questions?

Removal of all rear seats & seatbelts? How easy, anything to be wary of?

Insurance - I assume we'd need to advise our insurance if we change it to a camper conversion, (even if it's not full on conversion), but anyone had any issues with this, does it increase the insurance alot, will it have to be motorhome/campervan insurance?

I may have more questions, at the moment we are in very early stages of research and buying a vehicle.

Thankyou
Paul

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Paul
I have an 11 plate in the UK - the lower power 5 speed version - I bought it with a rocknroll bed full width of the van, which has 3x3point belts when it's in the (bench) seat position. It was like it when I bought it and the V5 still sais it's a 7 seat car so obviously started out as such and was converted by a previous owner, extra lining etc.. As it's a 'car' the local tip let me in which they wouldn't if it was a van (as long as I arrive with the seats as seats). As the bed takes up the whole width the trade off is we have to attach an awning for the other things so it's not strictly a full proper camper in that sense . We insured through Adrian Flux and with the changes noted, they insured it as a 'camper in conversion' (I think that's what they called it). - was somewhere between 2-300 to insure comp - when I rang the insurer once to say I was thinking of putting a swivel seat (haven't got there yet, can't decide) they said it doesn't matter as it's insured as such. So it's my normal 'car' that we can do the odd camp with a proper fullish width bed in - I don't like squeezing 2 of us into a 3.5 foot wide bed - some like to cuddle up, I don't. The 'computer' tells me I return around 42mpg. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi
We are going to look at a 66 reg 7 seater (90bhp) on Saturday (not the 1 we originally saw), our plan is to take out the seats completely and replace with a U shape seating area with table. This would give us loads of storage underneath, transforms into a full width bed, then buy an awning for the side, plus it's a simple, but clean looking design.

We had a small old campervan (a Bedford Bambi, that was an experience to drive) about 12 years ago & I think we used Adrian Flux back then, but that was not a practical 2nd car/camper as the NV200 will be.I think I'll just have to ring my ins to ask, I just wanted an idea on others experiences, to make sure I aren't going to end up with a massive increase, currently quoting around £300, but I may have to look for an insurer that as you say accepts "camper in conversion". In my opinion, my "mod" isn't changing anything structural or that affects how the car drives or handles & will be fully removal if needed in future, haven't really decided if we'd keep the seats or sell them, depending on my design, I'm not sure we'd go to the effort of removing it to put the seats back to use, only to put it back to camper when needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good luck with your plans - a world apart from driving the bambi.
Lots of people don't like the small 14" wheels as they say it's a bit skittish on the 'roller skate' looking wheels, and the tyres were expensive. I haven't had a problem myself, perfectly happy with the drive, it's not a rally car is it! The reported 'expensive' tyres are the same price as larger sizes these days, just not 'cheaper for being smaller' at this odd size. The correct load rating of 95/93 are dearer, but mine had 84s on it when I got it but is due tyres shortly so still umming and ahring over sticking with the 14s (but I'd get 88 load rated - I don't load it up really, the 84s have been fine but 'just in case' - MOT man didn't mention it) or picking up a cheap set of 15/16/17 alloys off a certain auction site to give a try. Mine has aircon that doesn't work (front end whack probably split pipes) but it doesn't get too hot/noisy with windows open, only thing I wish I had was cruise, but that's coz I'm lazy. Would recommend the Heko wind deflectors - means you can leave windows cracked overnight and keep ventilated but not let the rain in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes definitely a world apart from bambi.

I used to work in motor trade, so i'm aware of the odd tyre size pricing, will see when it needs tyres, but should still be cheaper than upgrading to bigger alloys, especially considering we'll prob only do around 6000-7000 miles a year.

I'd go wind deflectors as you say, but wife doesn't want windows open, had a bad experience with another camper complaining about her snoring at 1am & reason why we are going back to campervan, so she wants to keep noise in to avoid s repeat, personally it's something you have to live with camping & it's only 1 complaint in 15yrs camping.

·
Registered
23 Posts
1 complaint? a 15 year one from you ;)
I responded on your cambelt query but the moderator is 'assessing' it - it was quite long

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha, if it was, I'd be sleeping in the awning

Yeah I had email notification, but as you say it's still being assessed so can't see it all

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trade, so I can ask, see what they'll do in the deal, they've said it's only got 1 key, so I want to push them to inc another key, it's an ex mobility vehicle they've said

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's all I want, it's only as precaution, although not sure if alarm is activated/deactivated by remote only or from door barrel as well, I assume both being newer vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Deposit paid, hopefully picking up in about a a week, no budge on timing belt, (i've contacted Nissan UK about that), but 2nd key inc & 12month mot

1 - 16 of 16 Posts