NV200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings.
Has anybody removed the brake light in the door. I have removed the two screws but cannot get the unit out of the door. There appears to be nothing else holding it to the door but trying to prise it off with two screwdrivers brought the unit close to breaking point.:huh:

·
Registered
116 Posts
My third brake light didn't work when I bought the van. It is a pain in the arse, however you will need to pry it free from the body. There is a double sided foam sealing strip that is held by its own adhesive strip on both sides. Use a plastic spatula and slowly work your way around the top side. It will come out. beware that the gasketing may tear and render a water passage if you live in a rainy climate. For me living in Arizona, the only water the van will see is from a car wash!

Good luck and please post your results.

Simon

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Simon,
I will have a go at it tomorrow. Yes it will get wet, if it is not raining you can bet it is just about to. I live in England.
Regards Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finally stopped raining and got on with the job. What should have been a five minute job, took about one hour. Ruined the gasket, it really is difficult to brake the seal. Turned out to be a bad connector not the bulb. Anyone attempting this job would be well advised to buy a gasket with the bulb. Talking of bad connectors I have been insulating and relining the van. I removed the cover over the left rear wheel and found two earth wires not properly tightened up. Bad work on the production line. I would never have guessed the light was stuck to the body work so many thanks Simon for your post.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are very welcome. Our North American market vans are built in Mexico. I had a bad connection to the third brake light as well of which the dealer took care of. I only found out about the gasket as I was curious to mount a rearview camera in there rather than drilling the door. Now I know why it took the dealer so long to fix the light!

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I can see this being an inherent problem that will be one of those 'known faults' in the future. Just thinking it might be a plan to get part number from Nissan so we can make it a little less painful. I will see what I can do.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can see this being an inherent problem that will be one of those 'known faults' in the future. Just thinking it might be a plan to get part number from Nissan so we can make it a little less painful. I will see what I can do.......
Thanks guys, also used the advice for removing the brake light , saved me from braking it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts