NV200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a UK 2018 NV200, which came with an AM/FM radio and aerial.

I'm going to replace the aerial for an AM/FM DAB version and upgrade to a Pioneer double-din DAB radio.

Replacing the aerial itself seems fine - I've removed the courtesy light and can see the bolt, the cable from the current aerial then seems to go off towards the driver's side (RHD), from what I can tell - however, I need to replace the cable too.

I guess it's a matter of removing the top and pillar trim, removing the old cable and feeding the new one through.

Has anyone done this (trim removal etc.) and got any tips?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Doesn't seem an awful lot of traffic on this forum :(

Little bump though, to see if anyone spots this and can help.

In the end, I managed to re-use the existing cable for my new antenna - it's this one, if anyone is interested, looks pretty good now it's on, and uses a splitter (supplied) for AM/FM/DAB.

However....would be great to know if anyone has any advice on safely removing the side pillar trim and also the main dashboard "plank" in front of the windscreen, as I'd like to install route a dash cam/GPS antenna.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
>> ??? is there a Air bag in the side pillar trim????

I'm assuming not - there are air bags driver/passenger side in the front dash, pretty sure there aren't any in the pillar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As a follow-up, I found no need to remove the side pillar trim.

The rubber seal around the door opening can be pulled down easily, and you can then feed wires into the pillar trim without actually removing it. Prying tools are useful here - not to pry stuff off, but just to poke the wires in without damaging anything.

Anyway, I didn't have much trouble at all feeding the wires from a dash cam and a replacement mic fitted on/near the centre of the windscreen by taking them:

• under the roof trim above the windscreen towards the nearside pillar (UK, so RHD)
  • inside the side pillar (after pulling down the rubber seal) down to almost floor level
  • under the passenger seat well carpet at the back
  • up into the centre console behind a grill at the bottom towards its back
...and finally to my new receiver. In fact, you can't see any wires at all when doing this. The most fiddly bit was feeding the wires from the bottom/back of the centre console to where they meet the receiver (a bit of string poked from the top of the console receiver opening to the bottom with a stiff bit of wire worked, with the string then tied to the dash cam/mic wires to pull them up to where they needed to be).

The GPS antenna I just fitted under the dash behind the stereo, in the end, so no need for any cable routing etc. there.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
In case anyone else finds this useful in the future, these are the bits I used (and would now recommend):

• Celsus AN3024DAB DAB/FM/AM Antenna. A nice, smaller, and highly flexible antenna that replaces the OEM one well and comes with its own splitter - you can use the existing antenna cable with it, so no need to route a new cable.
  • Kenwood DMX7017DABS Receiver. Seems OK - has DAB and Android Auto. Despite what any guides tell you, you do not need a mounting kit for this - it will replace the stock Daewoo FM/AM radio perfectly if you just swap over the brackets from it (doesn't need an additional fascia). Beware though, the Torx screws holding the bracket on the OEM unit are tight and quite soft - I got them off, but had to replace them with new hex screws as I turned a couple of the heads, despite using a decent Torx screwdriver
  • Kenwood DRV-N520 Dashcam. Fitted but not used yet, the reason being that, despite being the matching dashcam for the above receiver, you need another cable to connect it up for video, that isn't supplied by default - still waiting for that.
  • InCarTec Nissan Steering Wheel adapter. Works well - all steering wheel controls, bar "i", work correctly with the Kenwood receiver.
In general, you can re-use the existing USB and antenna connections at the receiver end if you get the following:

A couple of final things:
  • I found no need to use a chassis ground with this receiver - AFAIKT the receiver mounting supplies this (effectively) so I connected the grounds from the steering wheel adapter and the dashcam cable to a screw on the back of the receiver itself - if this causes problems, I'll find something to attach it to in the future.
  • To get Android Auto working I had to ground the parking brake sensor on the harness, again to ground on the back of the receiver. Not sure if this can be connected up properly (it probably can) but you can't even get Android Auto working without doing this.
  • The DMX7017DABS comes with a GPS antenna with a metal mounting plate. What this is used for is a little bit sketchy, being that the receiver doesn't have navigation built in, but it does set the time and is (apparently) used by the dashcam. I mounted this behind the receiver, on its metal plate, under the main dash on top of a slightly curved plastic "bump" labeled "RHD". Time will tell if it picks up OK mounted there, but seems fine at the moment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts