NV200 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, does anyone know the roof rack weight limit on the NV200 mounting points? All thule and yakima cross bars are rated so low. I want to build a rack and put a roof top tent on but want to know the factory limits and can't find them anywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Inko,
Bummer! I have to say I am surprised, 220lbs is not a lot of weight. I have a rack up there utilizing all three mount points, so I'll be a little more cognizant of how much weight I put up there!
If you like to build things maybe you can rig up a header across the top on the inside and load the floor with some vertical members. You probably could get some extruded aluminum I-beam, I wouldn't think it would have to be too big...
Anyway just thinking aloud, roof top tents are a pretty good idea, one I would consider, Let me know if you have any luck
thx
S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about making some supports that tie into the pillars with the factory mounting points...that 220lbs is also taking into account the shock load while driving and wind shear. The Rooftop tent would only be used while parked so a mostly static load.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Its not just the roof loading on the NV 200 to be considered its the narrow width of the vehicle, being very narrow the risk of a heavy load tipping the vehicle over on a bend in the road is much higher than a wider vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its not just the roof loading on the NV 200 to be considered its the narrow width of the vehicle, being very narrow the risk of a heavy load tipping the vehicle over on a bend in the road is much higher than a wider vehicle.
Totally, just want to put a roof top tent on which is only 100lbs, but the static load with me and someone else in it is 5-600lb load.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts