NV200 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Oy, I'm watching you know! My swivel IS correct, not sure why you think it's offset, don't think it is (side to side at least) so that wouldn't affect the rotation as you to and fro anyway, the handle on the swivel faces up so if it were fitted the other way round it would point down or it would lock into travelling position 180 degrees the wrong way. I'm certain mine is fitted correctly. Good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Glad you are - your advice & pics are useful!
When you say it'd lock 180' the wrong way, the seat could be installed facing the wrong way?
I don't know the specific plate you have, but I bought the T4 97 onwards pax seat one, and 100% sure the orange release is on the drivers side and on the base. Which is how I've seen it (and had it) installed in other vans.
The "bearings" are offset, lemme take a photo :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I followed Gizmoman pictures and they are spot on, my seat works fine in rotating, however if you don't fit sliding rails it won't work and you have to open the door for full 180 deg rotation.

B.

·
Registered
190 Posts
See https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CAFB1C218475E7BA!43200&authkey=!AIjyl5orABhU-uU&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG
and https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=CAFB1C218475E7BA!43202&authkey=!ACyMdhmb_18Ja2w&v=3&ithint=photo,JPG

Hope the links work.

The release clip is door side on the base, and the rotation is offset front to rear. This means the back corner is kept away from the door, if it was central it'd protrude more when it spins and tap the door.

With the runners mounted and seat on (aka balanced!), it does rotate all the way without hitting anything and door closed (though yes, would need back flat or moved fore/aft to do that)..

All vans are different, and your swivel may be a different model, all I am saying is in my van and with the plate recommended in this thread - my finished layout will be different, the handle will be fixed door side, and it appears to spin without hitting.

I did a quick google to see if there was a definitive answer, and its as clear as mud lol!

On mine, the REAR TWO BOLT holes on the plate are "cone recessed" and fit perfectly into the two pre tapped holes in the seat base that the drivers side use. This way round (as pics) is exactly the same as on my pro converted Tranny.

No offence meant, so don't take it that way, just from whats in front of me, the opposite of what you have looks/feels right.....

Find out tomorrow :eek:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just been out again (brrrrr) - and I'm not actually sure it matters (!)
The mounting and the recessed bolts are the same.
If its upside down (as in what I said yours were) - the offset position is the same as "my way".
The only difference appears to be whether the release handle goes with the chair or the base.

I thought that may've been the reason someone above said theirs hit the door - but looks the same.

I have rails (3rd party) we need to modify to fit - I could not locate a Nissan set. So will need to drill various holes and extend the pull bar.

I plan to fit rails direct to seat base (all corner brackets removed by the nuts), but will put in 20/30mm spacers to get the correct height.

Will look in the morning and decide which way up - our last van had them "my way" - so may go that way just out of habit! But will check "your way" in case there is a difference.

If you find a definitive answer from Fasp (and if it matters) let me know.

·
Registered
190 Posts
(As an aside, I hope "my way" is doable - we plan to install a diesel heater between the drivers and passenger seat, just below rotation height, and have the top as a low table for my coffee/wine/beer. If the lever is on the "top" plate and rotates round, it could knock my beer off! :) )

edit: My 3d brain failed me, the above is bo***x as the handle would be by the door when the seat has rotated 180' and my beer would be fine :)

·
Registered
190 Posts
According to http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=54002 - someone had response from a supplier (not FASP) - who say I'm wrong and you are right :)
But as you can see (if you can be bothered to read the thread lol) - loads have done it the other way too. So its as clear as mud on VW forums too!
Will test both ways before committing, the "door side" is as per our last van so habbit may err us to keep it the same and its out of the way. As long as it doesn't appear to affect the structure/function/safety (can't see how it can thinking about the forces involved). Its not covered by type approval in a Nissan anyway - esp with modified seats.

So I'd say 90% chance you guys are right - sorry for suggesting otherwise.

Now what to do...!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Your way should work o.k. it's clear the handle is designed to point up so you can grab it easier, but the seat will still turn and lock o.k. if it is upside down, no harm in trying it your way you can always switch it if you're not happy.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ah - thanks for that. Not looked yet.
The van differs from the combi there as we have low tray, but not sure about wiring.
Will check carefully, thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
190 Posts
Helmut, you are correct.

All I can say is that I am using an approved swivel plate, though approved for a different van.
Using 2 existing/approved bolt holes in seat base. (making 2 others)
Using some existing bolt holes in seat base, drilling others.
Using high quality engineering bolts (seat spec or above) and mountings at least as strong as existing.
Using race approved seat runners.
So, you sort of make a judgement - would I be happy with that? And yes would.
Id personally NOT DIY a plate, or use cheap runners.

But also, my rear seats will not be crash approved. They will be legal, belted, mounted with sufficient spec of spreader plates and bolts, an the frame is braced how I would want, but it is not crash approved. My view is its going to be seldom used anyway, and the back of the van even in approved seats isn't the most rated place to sit - no crash structure and in a big off, no matter how well braced, batteries, gas bottle, fridge etc will be flying around anyway. Same as pro builds
You need to balance your own view.

·
Registered
190 Posts
BTW there is wiring under the centre tray (on the combi anyway), so putting the heater there may be a problem, see pic http://nv200forum.com/members/1857-gizmoman-albums-fasp-swivel-picture618-p1040021.html
Yes, same/similar on the van - and even have a fluid pipe crossing (!) - assume that is rear wash.
Doesn't necessarily stop us doing it, but closer work needed.
Under passenger seat is also possible, but we've spec'd a water tank to go under the chassis under the seat and this may be too close (exhaust from the heater may melt). Few other possibilities due to other equipment and fuel tank etc.
Thats another issue for another day!

·
Registered
190 Posts
I now have a passenger swivel seat, with minimal modifications. Can turn round with door closed with a "brush" of the door. Interesting job, would be 10x easier with Nissan runners!

Will add pics later.

I should say, the plate is better the "other way round" - e.g. not the way I suggested, but the way shown in everyone elses photos - so thanks for that - that helped.

May I ask what did everyone do with the rear bolts into the seat base? They seem to require M10 countersunk bolts, 1.25 thread, and 8.8 strong. But we cant locate any? For now we're using m8 10.9 bolts through the hole. Not ideal. We could also drill out the retained nut and put in our own 1.5 (normal) thread for an M10 bolt.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used the original bolts, the head just covers the countersunk part of the plate holes, not 100% ideal but they seem secure enough.

·
Registered
190 Posts
OK. If I find a perfect answer I will share.
I thought the normal bolts would foul the spin? Didn't try TBH - being a bit pedantic for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looks like we're both using original Nissan bolts, (Torx head). Re Helmuts post it should be pointed out he is in the business of supplying the Zooom swivels that are crash tested but they are quite pricey and also a bit cumbersome to operate. If you want to be 100% confident then go for those. I spent more time researching and considering the swivel than any other part, I wasn't going to bother with one at one stage because I didn't want a unsafe bodged job. The reasons I went with the Fasp are 1. some Pro convertors were using it and I figured they wouldn't risk their reputation on an unsafe part. 2. the Fasp swivel IS tested and produced in a EU certificated factory, it is a strong, heavy, well manufactured product and was supplied to me with the correct rated bolts. I'm happy with my installation and don't see why it would fail an official crash test if the VW fitting of the same plate is o.k.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Agree with you gizmoman.
I've v happy with the install - all ratings at least as good as OEM install, and the 2 holes we drilled in the plate we put M10 8.8 which will be stronger than the M8s provided.
I may drill the thread out of the welded nut at the back, and just use a longer standard M10 8.8 recessed bolt with standard thread and washer/nyloc nut
But safety wise, v happy

41 - 60 of 73 Posts