NV200 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I’m after some advice, I would like to increase the tyre size on the x5 stock 14” steel wheels to give the van abit of an off road camper look and also to fill the space in the wheel arch currently tyre size is 175/70R14 95T would 185/80R14 be suitable and safe for my nv200?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Nv200Hicks, not wishing to go against a fellow NV member, but firstly, 17's may be fine, but the owner doesn't say what tyres he/she has fitted, so presumably 17 is the rim diameter and without tyre size, then best pass. I've checked what you have now (i.e.stock) and what you're thinking of fitting and to go to a 185/80 will according the tyre/rim calculator put your speedo out approx 5mph. Take note that although your speedo would show 60mph, your actual speed is 65.1, sure way to get a speeding ticket. Your gearing will be affected too due to a larger rolling overall diameter. Another thing to take into consideration is insurance.....any mod must be declared to you insurance company. https://www.wheel-size.com/calc/?wh...-14X5.5ET45&fcl=50mm&wcl=30mm&scl=50mm&sr=0mm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I upgraded my wheels/tyres a few months ago. Using this tool Tyre Size Calculator I can see that your proposed wheel diameter will be 8.9% bigger than stock:

I went for 16x7 rims with 205/55/R16 tyres. My diameter increased by 5.5% from stock. There is still some room in the wheel arch, so the extra 1/2inch of radius to go up to your proposed tyre size from mine might be ok, but I'm certainly not qualified to tell you. I can take pictures if you like? let me know. The 'front' of the rear wheel arch is a little tight when unloaded on mine.

I lost some acceleration upgrading, you're set to lose more, which you will definitely notice, especially in hilly areas. My speedo with stock wheels was over-reading by about 5% so now it is perfect - as Gerry mentions above even bigger tyres still will make the speedo under-read even if you had the same situation as me.

In terms of safety, again I'm no mechanic, but your extra tyre width and contact area should enhance braking/traction. Folks warn of increased wear on wheel bearings etc, not sure at what point this becomes a serious concern.

A friend went for 205/60/R15 in his NV and they look rad - the tyre wall bulges out more than mine and look a bit more 'off road'.
I can see why u wanna change - the stock wheels/tyres look tiny and ridiculous with the big empty wheel arch. Changing mine out completely changed the look of the van. Now looks meaty, handles better, brakes faster (especially in the wet), tracks straighter on the motorway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts