NV200 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations / advice on insuring an NV200 ?

I'm not a business so only need insurance for private use.
But I've read that using a van to drive to work (at a uni) means commercial insurance required.

Seems a bit harsh when the van will usually be empty.
And if there is something in it, it'll be camping gear and/or bikes and/or shopping.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi I was in a similar position to you. After using all the online search engines I could only get a quote for SDP (no commuting) or business. I phoned the best quote to check and they advised me they would look into why this was not an option online to add SDP&C. I took out a SDP only and simply added on commuting to a single place of work for an additional £30. I checked about the need for business insurance etc with it being a van and was advised there was no need. Yes your insuring a commercial vehicle which some insurers will not insure but no need for business insurance (but do double check with who ever you go with). I ended up cancelling that insurance as I was not allowed to add additional Windows and seats so went with a broker and a modification friendly policy.
Good luck
Phil

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers for that Phil.
Esp the info re adding windows in the future.
I'm going to phone a few insurers today.
I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just Google modified can insurance. I found "a plan" insurance cheapest (broker)and I'm with a company called "marker study" who are part of chaucer direct
No extra charge for seats, windows and colour coding bumpers.up to I fact they said as long as j don't turn in I to a £20k camper or massively increase engine power I'm fine just keep them informed of the mods

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Plenty of quotes for me coming back at about same as my Corsa. (250ish)
But I was getting 'unmodified' quotes.

Being as I hope to have side windows fitted within a month or 2 of collecting the van next month,
I should probably go back and get quotes again.

Ive found the MarkerStudy website. Cheers.
I'll give them a call.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ive found that a couple of insurers wont insure if theres side windows fitted.

Adrian Flux have done me a quote for just over 200 ,
and they wont increase it if I get side windows fitted in the future.
Just need to let them know Ive done it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
AF were not very good
I went with brentace (recommended on SBMCC) and that was through Marker study too.

New van, fc, 10k mileage, class 1 business use, no time limit to convert to camper, any mod file etc. And cheaper than AF (half).

Some companies would not insure spouse for business use (!).

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I narrowed it down to AF , Brentace & A Plan.
SDP & Commuting. Rear & side windows inc.
AF were 212. About 100 cheaper than the others for same cover.

Nice guy at Brentace told me to snap their (AF) hand off :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts