NV200 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put a used engine in my 2013 NV200, I was told it was for a NV200 but after installing it I find out the upper oil pan is different so the current axel shaft center mount doesn't bolt up properly on the lower 2 bolts. Anyone have any ideas other than pulling it back out and installing my upper oil pan from the engine I took out? I didn't notice the difference until after I completely installed the engine. The engine must be from a car and not a NV200, I am thinking about making an adapter to pick up the two lower bracket mounting points. Oh, forgot - I don't understand how Nissan can call out the part as an upper oil pan when there is no bottom to it and it appears to be what I would call as part of the engine block. This engine only had 30K miles and has no leaks and no check engine lights on, but that lower axle mount is a pain if I have to replace it. I need other's thoughts on this issue.
Budd

· Super Moderator
347 Posts
Do you still have the old engine? Do you have any pics of the spot you’re talking about?

I just looked up an engine block on car-part.com and it looks like some Versa’s and Sentra’s used the same one.
Rectangle Font Material property Parallel Screenshot

I didn’t think these had a two piece pan? I’ll bring one in on the hoist tomorrow morning and take some pics.
I replaced a transmission on one of these vans a while back and remember that jackshaft(rh inner axle)that bolts to the block being a pita getting the bolts lined up.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just took a look at one of these. There is no upper oil pan on these vans, just the steel pan that bolts to the block. I'll post some pics later today.
I like you thought the aluminum was part of the block, it's not. Look at my pictures I have and you will see. Thanks, Budd

Attachments

· Super Moderator
347 Posts
I like you thought the aluminum was part of the block, it's not. Look at my pictures I have and you will see. Thanks, Budd
My bad! I should have looked up a schematic...that really sucks!!!!! Hopefully, you don't have to pull the engine back out. Did you buy your engine from a wrecker or private seller? You'd think a wrecker would have the proper interchange and notes for parts that need to be swapped over. When I worked at one they had a pretty good interchange system that would point out changes like this.
Here’s a 2017
Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Auto part

Wood Font Creative arts Artifact Sculpture

Wood Bicycle part Automotive exterior Automotive design Auto part

Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Wood Grey Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought it from a wrecker and there was a note saying I may need to change the oil pan. I really didn't realize that the lower aluminum base was also called the oil pan. I thought the oil pan was the steel lower pan only, so I guess it's really my fault for not following up before I put the engine in. I think I may just make an adapter that will pick up the lower mounting holes and the support bracket. I'm thinking if I use 2 - 1/4" plates running downwards and then bolt them together with a spacer or two, that should work. The upper mounting bolts are fine and that should give me the right placement as long as I can support the lower bolts. I really don't want to pull this engine back out.

· Super Moderator
347 Posts
That really sucks!!
I’ve been maintaining a bunch of these turds for 7 years and had no idea they were built like that!

I too would try to figure out how to make it work without pulling it out again.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That really sucks!!
I’ve been maintaining a bunch of these turds for 7 years and had no idea they were built like that!

I too would try to figure out how to make it work without pulling it out again.
Just had another idea, does the upper oil pan have a stamped part number anywhere? It looks like the NV200 uses the same axle as some Sentra and Jukes so maybe I could just use a support that would fit the engine I already have in. Does anyone know if there is a way like on a Chevrolet engine to see what the engine actually came out of. On a Chevy engine you can often tell what the engine was in using the stamped engine number on the block. I'm hoping that either the upper oil pan or the engine can tell me.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, I know that is what should be done. But I really don't want to do that again, this engine is clean and runs well as it is. I am going to mount two flat 1/4" steel plates, one to the oil pan bosses and one to the lower support bracket and then bolt those together with spacers to anchor the lower support bracket firmly. Or I may weld those plates together to secure the bottom of the support bracket. I think with the upper bolts being firmly tightened and then bolting the lower pates together to act as a solid spacer should work. I really don't think the center support has a lot of strain on it unless the wheel is turned all the way and a lot of power is applied while it's turned. I am going to convert this into a mini camper so it wont have much weight in it to haul around. I wish I knew exactly what this engine came out of - if I did I could maybe use the center support from that vehicle. This engine was imported from Japan and supposedly only has 40K miles on it and it does look and run like it..

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It may work. Question would be, if it doesn’t hold will it cause damage when it gives way?
I don't think so unless it actually broke all the (4) bosses off the engine which I guess could happen but I would really be surprised if it did. If they just loosen up I would think that I would get a lot of rattling noise and vibration before it actually did any damage. By having the upper bolts having guide pins and 2 large bolts holding it to the engine block itself and then the lower bolts being locked by using 2 - 1/4 steel plates that are locked together. I think will do it. I'm going to try it, if it breaks it will be a lesson learned. As i said before, this engine is really clean and dry.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts