NV200 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you guys that have upgraded to after-market wheels and want to sell your OEM wheels cheap, please respond. I want to buy (or borrow) 2 or 4 wheels to have them chrome plated and then swap out my origional wheels. I will even consider giving back my origional black powder coated wheels if we can make a cheap enough deal. :smile:

Grandpa Bruce

·
Registered
10 Posts
So, the SV models with the appearance package come with stock black wheels under the hubcaps? I have an SV without the appearance package, and my wheels are silver. I'd gladly purchase a set of stock black wheels, rather than messing with purchasing aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So, the SV models with the appearance package come with stock black wheels under the hubcaps? I have an SV without the appearance package, and my wheels are silver. I'd gladly purchase a set of stock black wheels, rather than messing with purchasing aftermarket wheels.
Yes, my SV version came with black powder coated wheels with full size (not certer caps) plastic hubcaps. I hated the hubcaps and removed them. I have purchased some hard plastic center caps from a 2013 base model NV200. I think the hard plastic caps will be suitable for chroming. I have also picked up a set of the chromed Gorrilla lug nuts.

My plans are to borrow, beg, steal, buy, etc 2 or 4 wheels and send them off the the chrome plater. Upon return, I will move my tires to the chrome wheels and install on van. I have no objections to swapping my black for your silver if the logistics can be worked out. And my shipping to and from you, is on your dime.

And since my van is black, I blacked out my grill using the Plasti-dip stuff which is used to coat tool handles for electrical resistance. I think this will be much more resistant to chipping. The black Plsti-dip is not a perfect match to the black paint. But its close enough. I really like the look.:smile:

And FYI is is a link for buying stock wheels for $90.00 each.
http://www.originalwheels.com/nissan-wheels/nv2002013rims.php

Having said all this. If its black wheels you want, why not buy some masking tape and a rattle can of black gloss paint and just paint them. That would look better than the black powdercoat which looks more like a flat dull dark grey

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What and eye opener! I called a chrome shop to see about chroming my factory wheels. They insisted that it required seperation of the center section and the outer wheel before chroming. I thought there was some error made. Such as they assumed I had an outer steel wheel and an aluminum center section. I can see seperating those would be necessary.

I called another chrome shop and got the same story. I still don't understand why they would need to seperate two parts that have been welded together, thus forming a single part. And if they do seperate the parts, how do they reweld it without messing up the chrome. And the price they quoted which involved seperating the parts was excessive, >$400 each.

So I guess I'm going to a plan B. I will chrome the plastic center caps and replace factory lug nuts with chromed varient. And I will paint my factory wheels in a high gloss black paint. I hate compromising on this.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts